Fork oil weight

Can someone please tell me what weight of fork oil is used in a stock setup for the 2010 yz450f?

That's a little trickier question that you think, actually, because Yamaha doesn't publish the viscosity of S1, and hydraulic suspension oils aren't graded on the same scale as engine oils or gear oils (both of which differ from each other).

But you should use a good quality fork oil between 2.5 and 5wt.

Thanks for the help. I have decided to use a 5wt oil.

Here's a link to some fairly good info on a web page about fork oil:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a good list of various oils.....

Basically, just because a fork oil is labelled "5 Wt.", it may or may not be that. It's kind of a "relative" thing......

Jimmie

The best suspension oil I'm aware of is 215.VM2.K5 from SMART Performance. It's sold in "#3" and "#5", which does relate to the oil's viscosity, but not in the manner of most oils. It's a very non-conventional, "non-Newtonian" fluid, and the 3 and 5 can be used where you would use a 3wt or a 5wt, respectively, but it's not the same, just exactly. Probably one of the ultimate examples of label viscosity not being particularly significant.

The best suspension oil I'm aware of is 215.VM2.K5 from SMART Performance. It's sold in "#3" and "#5", which does relate to the oil's viscosity, but not in the manner of most oils. It's a very non-conventional, "non-Newtonian" fluid, and the 3 and 5 can be used where you would use a 3wt or a 5wt, respectively, but it's not the same, just exactly. Probably one of the ultimate examples of label viscosity not being particularly significant.

I wonder what properties they replaced in the 215.VM2 I just had another Taco fork kit and shock kit put in my 2011 and my tuner said the 215.VM2 that he used in the past was pulled off the shelf for the newer 215.VM2 that is Blueish,greenish,turquoish in color and dosent smell as bad as the other when you bleed the forks.

It has been reformulated, yes. Obviously, a lot of the sulfur compounds that gave the old stuff that distinctive gear oil smell were traded out, but I don't know the details of the chemistry. It seems to work real well, with a bit more fade resistance, etc.

You should be fine with 5wt. Just helped my buddy with his honda and he picked up honda's fork oil, SS-7 5wt. worked fine. My shop just rebuilt a set of forks on a 02'

yz250f. The guy brought us KYB fork oil and it didn't have wt posted on it anywhere... but it worked just fine.