HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Theeebalz

quick bottom end ?

6 posts in this topic

i feel like i should know this, well theres a 2001 yz426f on craigslist for 500 bucks and he said it had a dropped rod, explain? could i get away with machining the crank and replacing the rod, pistons, and rings, etc? soooo just explain what has to be done in the prosess? thinking about buying as a project and turning a profit for my next bike on it..

A "dropped" rod is not a proper term. A "thrown" rod means there is a hole in the case and a noisy rod is just that- the engine runs but is noisy with bottom end knock. Best case, it'll need a new crank/rod combo and piston; you'll probably find a buch more wrong though, it goes with the territory. Beat up bikes with blown up motors are a dime a dozen, I'd hold out for a better model to scoop up cheap.

If you have to ask about wanting to rebuild, you probably won't make a profit. My cousin buys blown up bikes/quads, rebuilds them, and then makes a profit on sales. But, he does have the tools and mechanical knowledge. A thrown rod = don't buy!

well the guy used the weird term.. i usually use like well, theres a giant ass hole in the case. haha if he goes for 300 i'll get it for a part out, since the shocks were just rebuilt and everything else looks pretty fresh.

well the guy used the weird term.. i usually use like well, theres a giant ass hole in the case. haha if he goes for 300 i'll get it for a part out, since the shocks were just rebuilt and everything else looks pretty fresh.

i was going to say - if u can get it for 300, you could probably ebay the good parts left and make 200-300$ profit, assuming the stuff sells. Could take a month or more. Your time your call. I wouldnt bother

yea i've been looking for different forks and shock for my current beast so i have clickers and a more adjustable rear shock, meh, i'll drop it and laugh at the people wanting 1200 for a 98 rm..