from DRZ to WR450F?

Hey guys, I have a question for those "upgraded" from a DRZ to the WR. My question is do you see the same reliability over the long haul? What have you done to the WR as far as comfort?

The DRZ seems to fit me really well and I like the ergos. I just think that I will have more fun offroad with a bit more punch.

I'm currently on a DRZ S model with some of the ususal upgrades as far as jetting and armor. Nothing good like the FCR carb and big bore kit. So to campare a CV carb 400 to the FCR 450 is not fair. But I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting the extra $$ into my existing bike to get the power comparable. Both bikes need suspension work so that cost is a wash. Even with suspension work, are the handleing characteristics comparable?

I ride mostly two tracks, some single track (not much though), and on the pavement to get between trails. Usually a good bit of sand on these trails. I'm not an overly aggressive rider, nor am I a racer. I just want an all around decent and reliable woods bike. No MX tracks or scrambles in my future.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

I had an 07 DRZsm, sure the bike was fun to ride, but I always had that feeling that I wanted that little bit more kick to the bike. A 04 WR provided that. Sure, you'll be spending a little more time doing all your preventative maintenance, but once you get your jetting dialled in to your location, then life is good. I found the WR handles a LOT more crisp, it felt like the bike just wanted to crank and bank (even with stock suspension on both). I've taken the WR thru some pretty hairy trails, and now she's on the street but I wouldn't trade back for anything.

One thing to note, if you do end up putting her on the street. Speeds above 100 km/hr start to become twitchy because the bike is so light. I find I'm more prone to getting blown around passing vehicles than I ever felt on the Z.

I started with (and still have an 04 S model DRZ), then progressed to an 08 WR450

The bikes are worlds apart

The WR had 232 miles on it when I bought it, and now has 3500, with no issues what so ever, except self inflicted crash damaged. 1 valve has moved 0.01!

The DRZ had 800 miles on it, it now has over 40K on it!

However, the DRZ has dropped three big ends in this time, all with the same failure mode (compression stress failure the surface of the rod and big end pin)

The cranks go at 15-16.5K miles, regular. 1st engine went at 16.5K, repair it and it went again at 15K, second hand engine with 8K on it went oat 15.5K total engine mileage.

Main issue with the DRZ is weight, and soft suspension

WR is a race bike where as the DRZ is a trail bike

WR maint can be tiresome with oil changes every 10 hours, where as DRZ goes 2K miles

You cannot compare the two

For gentle mucking about the DRZ is better

For racing the WR is best, without doubt

I greatly appreciate the insight from those that have been from one bike to the other. Going to a different bike should not be a hard decision, but for some reason I really do like my DRZ. I know it has a bit more to offer if I put the money into it. But part of me says go for newer technology. Thanks again. I'll let you guys know what I decide to do.

I used to own the same DRZs as you, and raced it regularly in Harescrambles. People thought I was nuts, but with a few additions, the DRZ is a great bike!!! I did have the FCR pumper carb and suspension work done to it though. Huge difference!!! Then I moved to Montana and raced the DRZ out here. Got my butt kicked, big time!!! The heft of the DRZ just does not like going down huge mountains at all. For 2011, I picked up an '06 WR 450 and raced that all this year. For true off-roading, there is no comparison. The WR wins hands down, no matter what you do to the DRZ. And the WR isn't that bad on the street either, but the DRZ is slightly better at streeting to be fair. Just not as much as you think. Unless of course, your commuting down the Interstate for 100's of miles per day, then the higher geared DRZ will cruise with less vibes & engine noise. Maniac

You guys are awesome. I appreciate your experiences and thoughts. No commuting for me. Maybe a camping trip across Michigan Upper Peninsula for a few days. Usually don't break 60 mph ever. It really comes down to $$$ spent right now. Spend it now, or spend it later.

Hey guys, I have a question for those "upgraded" from a DRZ to the WR. My question is do you see the same reliability over the long haul? What have you done to the WR as far as comfort?

The DRZ seems to fit me really well and I like the ergos. I just think that I will have more fun offroad with a bit more punch.

I'm currently on a DRZ S model with some of the ususal upgrades as far as jetting and armor. Nothing good like the FCR carb and big bore kit. So to campare a CV carb 400 to the FCR 450 is not fair. But I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting the extra $$ into my existing bike to get the power comparable. Both bikes need suspension work so that cost is a wash. Even with suspension work, are the handleing characteristics comparable?

I ride mostly two tracks, some single track (not much though), and on the pavement to get between trails. Usually a good bit of sand on these trails. I'm not an overly aggressive rider, nor am I a racer. I just want an all around decent and reliable woods bike. No MX tracks or scrambles in my future.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

I have had 3 DRZ400S (still have one of them) and put about 18,000 miles on the 3 in total. They are rock solid dependable but no comparison off-road to the DRZ. On road the DRZ is way better. I have my 2007 WR450f licensed for the road but always take the DRZ if there is going to be much pavement riding. Off-road just the opposite. I have done all the same mods as you on the DRZ. I have had my DRZ in the mountains of Colorado up to 13,800 feet with no problems. I love the DRZ for what it is but what it isn't is a great off-road bike. I have 2 sets of wheels for my DRZ so that makes it quick and easy to go either way. The WR450F has so far been totally reliable. I worry though that it hold half the oil as the DRZ so i change the oil in the Yamaha twice as often. I have an hour meter on both bikes and use that to determine when to change the oil. Both are great bikes just aimed at different goals.

I greatly appreciate the insight from those that have been from one bike to the other. Going to a different bike should not be a hard decision, but for some reason I really do like my DRZ. I know it has a bit more to offer if I put the money into it. But part of me says go for newer technology. Thanks again. I'll let you guys know what I decide to do.

If it were me - I would keep the DRZ for a couple years then pick up a good used 2012 WR450F that is FI. You know the DRZ and like it. Why change if you don't really need to right now. You can find some really good deals on great used WR450f around here though.