2009 YZF450F Changed oil and Won't Go And Kicks Extreamly Hard

Ok...try this one out.

I start my bike to warm it up for an oil change and shut it down after a few min., then drain oil out of all 3 drains and change the filter.

I then add 1L of oil and run it for a few minutes and check the oil, it was down a little so I added more(which i shouldn't have) and then run it again for a few more minutes and then shut down.....with no issue.

So I load it up in the truck and haul it 1hr for a trail ride and then get on it and try to kick it and it is extreamly hard to kick(unusally so):thumbsup:.

Between me a few pals we try to kick it which is close to impossible and we try to bump start which even in 5th gear drags the tire for the most part but does roll some without starting.

We drain the oil incase there was to much and remove plug and it turns over flawlessly without issue.

Once the plug is back in you can basically stand on the kick start.

Keep in mind it will roll over with extream effort and rolls over no problem without plug.

So after that long winded story........and ideas?

I really don't have an answer for you but I'm sure someone will. I have the same bike and one thing that puzzled me was you said you drained oil from all 3 drains. I only have 2 drains plus the oil filter.

I really don't have an answer for you but I'm sure someone will. I have the same bike and one thing that puzzled me was you said you drained oil from all 3 drains. I only have 2 drains plus the oil filter.[/quote/]

I was also wondering that? ^^^

Did you install the oil filter correctly? It seems like the problem started with the oil change, dont make sense to me.

There is something going on with the auto decompress. If it were an oil issue it would not turn over with the spark plug out.

There is something going on with the auto decompress. If it were an oil issue it would not turn over with the spark plug out.

X2, that's where I'd start to look..

As per the above 2 posts, i think it must be the auto decompressor not working. 1 liter plus a bit of oil should not be enough to jam it up. Whip the rocker cover off and check timing is correct and that the auto decompressor is in the correct position, and will rotate and return freely.

I think by 3 drains he meant the two main oil drains and the filter drain bolt.

Thanks guys for your input and yes i meant 2 main drains and oil filter drain.

I will be removing valve cover tomorrow or Tuesday and I to am very comfused as it ran in the garage and i shut it down and then this.

I will keep you post and feel free to have more input.

The auto decompression mechanism is nearly foolproof. The timing chain is not, however, and if it starts kinking it can skip time the first time the engine bounces backward off of compression as it shuts down. That will cause the AD unit to be out of time as well, since it's built into the cam.

Pull the cover and check the timing.

The auto decompression mechanism is nearly foolproof. The timing chain is not, however, and if it starts kinking it can skip time the first time the engine bounces backward off of compression as it shuts down. That will cause the AD unit to be out of time as well, since it's built into the cam.

Pull the cover and check the timing.

Umm, ya.. what he said........

We drain the oil incase there was to much and remove plug and it turns over flawlessly without issue.

Once the plug is back in you can basically stand on the kick start.

Keep in mind it will roll over with extream effort and rolls over no problem without plug.

So after that long winded story........and ideas?

This is the part that sticks out to me. If it were a cam chain issue or a decompressor issue, the problem would remain the same whether there was an oil drain bolt in place or not. I've never heard of this happening before. It wouldn't hurt to check the timing and decompression mechanism, but there may be something else going on. Is your valve cover breather tube plugged or pinched off at all?

If it were a cam chain issue or a decompressor issue, the problem would remain the same whether there was an oil drain bolt in place or not.
I think he's speaking of the spark plug, KJ. There's no logical connection to the drain plug, as you noted.
I think he's speaking of the spark plug, KJ. There's no logical connection to the drain plug, as you noted.

Haha, I took it as drain plug. If he meant spark plug then I completely agree it sounds like a timing or decompression issue. If it is the drain plug then there is something very strange going on for sure :thumbsup:

KJ, I took it as the drain plug also, he mentioned it when saying he drained the oil.