Engine shuts off / hard to restart

I have an 07 wr450F that has been bullet proof for the last 3 years (got it in 08).

I had an issue when I was on the mountain in Hatfield last winter where the bike would just die. then would not refire for around a minute. It did this several times before the end of the trip.

I could not replicate the problem when I got it home and it was fine this spring at hatfield. It was also fine this summer when I actually got out to ride it a couple of times.

Today it started happening again. It was very difficult to start (the bike would always start with 4 pumps of the throttle before no matter what) Then ran it a bit to warm it up. It then died and would not restart for 3 or 4 minutes. When it finally got running again it did the same thing.

We drained the fuel and drained the fuel in the float bowl and refilled it with fresh fuel. Still did not want to start, and when it did it ran till we let it idle and then died and would not restart.

Never had a single problem with the bike before this happened. Ran like a top after uncorking and rejetting it to no longer be lean as it came from the factory.

HELP!!!!

The fuel is fresh, but it sat for a month or two with no stabil.

How do you test for a failing stator???

If the issue is 'heat and time' related (after 13 min of a hot motor, the electrical fails, for example) that is a typical stator failure issue.

Don't jump to conclusions. Go over all your electrical connections, coil wire, plug lead, etc first.

You need a service manual to show you how to test the Stator.

If the issue is 'heat and time' related (after 13 min of a hot motor, the electrical fails, for example) that is a typical stator failure issue.

Don't jump to conclusions. Go over all your electrical connections, coil wire, plug lead, etc first.

You need a service manual to show you how to test the Stator.

I will noodle through the electrical now. I have a service manual...

Any chance you've checked the valves recently? Might be tight intake.....just a thought.

Mike

Been 40 or 50 hours since I have checked clearances. Guess I should do that while I am at it...

I did pull the petcock and there was a little gunk on the reserve screen. the main screen was clean, so I am guessing it is not a fuel flow issue. the new 2 1/2 gallons came out with no flow issues.

You won't see issues where there is a strong concentration of gas fumes (gas tank). You will see it in the carb.