HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wr-426

back to bare frame

7 posts in this topic

My 2001 WR426 gearbox packed it in recently and i am slowly putting it back together. i may look at selling the bike at some stage in the not too distant future. i am trying to pretty up a bit. The bike is stripped back to a bare frame at the moment.

has anyone ever removed the paint on the swingarm on these bikes? i really like the brushed aluminium look on the newer bikes and i m wondering if i will be able to achieve this with the swingarm on my bike.

what colour should i paint my frame? i wonder how it will look if i can't quite match the stock blue so maybe black is the way to go? anyone tried any interesting colours?

i might come up with a few more questions at some stage soon

cheers, guys

My 2001 WR426 gearbox packed it in recently and i am slowly putting it back together. i may look at selling the bike at some stage in the not too distant future. i am trying to pretty up a bit. The bike is stripped back to a bare frame at the moment.

has anyone ever removed the paint on the swingarm on these bikes? i really like the brushed aluminium look on the newer bikes and i m wondering if i will be able to achieve this with the swingarm on my bike.

what colour should i paint my frame? i wonder how it will look if i can't quite match the stock blue so maybe black is the way to go? anyone tried any interesting colours?

i might come up with a few more questions at some stage soon

cheers, guys

Stick with factory colors if you expect any real resale on the bike.

have a look at my swingarm i recently sand blasted it then painted with caliper paint and polished the sides. It took me a few hours to do but came up really nice.

Sydney-20110405-00035.jpg

have a look at my swingarm i recently sand blasted it then painted with caliper paint and polished the sides. It took me a few hours to do but came up really nice.

Sydney-20110405-00035.jpg

that is an awesome result Mark, sadly i don't have access to sandblasting equipment as i live on a little remote island of the coast of Australia, i wonder how i'd go with a soft wire wheel , some steel wool and some fine grit sandpaper.

how easy it to get hold of the factory blue that the frame is painted in? does anyone know any numbers for it?

Cheers,

Jesse

Thanks Jesse, you could use a wire wheel and then sand the parts you want polished, i just masked them areas off and painted the rest.

the paint is Yamaha PJ1 blue, most dealers should stock it.

Whats the island your on?

Cheers Mark,

I am from Christmas Island, so shipping of things is a pain in the arse for me, sometimes i sneak a few spray packs of paint on the plane with me when i come back over here. i'll try a few dealers in perth and see if i can get hold of any of that paint.

thanks again,

Jesse