HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1991CR250RBEAST

Feathering the clutch?

5 posts in this topic

I go into a turn really hot on the brakes and downshift a gear or two.The question is....Is it ok to feather the clutch to get my rpm's up and then dump the clutch and holeshot out of the turn as you would on a two stroke? Just curious.May sound like a dumb question but anyone have any sound advice? :smashpc:

I go into a turn really hot on the brakes and downshift a gear or two.The question is....Is it ok to feather the clutch to get my rpm's up and then dump the clutch and holeshot out of the turn as you would on a two stroke? Just curious.May sound like a dumb question but anyone have any sound advice? :smashpc:

Its is OK, and wont cause a problem apart from wearing your clutch a bit quicker. I do it a fair bit on power sapping sand tracks. You shouldnt need to a lot on harder tracks, maybe just on very tight corners (work the clutch to stay in the rut more than anything).

If you learn to ride in the right gear and roll the throttle on, you will find your laptimes are quicker and more consistent. 50 hp ish is a lot to switch on and off like a light with your clutch, and will have unexpected results sometimes, slowing you down rather than speeding you up.

Different people will have different opinions and riding styles, but theres mine!!

+1 to the above. Fanning the clutch is abusive and generally unnecessary with a bike that has so much grunt. As JR points out, you'll have more control and lower lap times by using the throttle and gearbox, and your drive train will last longer.

All I can say is clutch basket after clutch basket. These 450's have some power and chew the snot out of the baskets. Break the habit if you can................ I couldn't, clutch basket after clutch basket.............................. Then I got a Rekluse!