Used Steering Stabilizer

The Scotts dampers are the same unit for any application. GPR and some others are not. The main difference is the "sweep" of the damping effect. Off road dampers generally damp through the full range of bar travel, whereas most street dampers don't offer any resistance once the front wheel is turned more than a few degrees off center. The Scotts has a sweep adjustment on it, so it can be tailored to either application.

The Scotts also has a separate high speed damping circuit that is independently adjustable. Scotts customer service is among the best you could want, too.

• TT Sponsor
I am looking to buy a used steering stabilizer for my son's 03 YZ450. I have been looking on eBay and there seem to lots for street bikes. Are they same stabilizer with different mounting hardware?

Our dampers that we sell for dirtbikes start damping out from center and free return back so you do not have to constantly fight the damper to turn your bars. Our road bike dampers damper out from center AND back to center due to the faster speed of streetbikes, higher horsepower and torque and the fact that you dont turn the bars as much to turn the bike. Some street bike folks do use a dirtbike valved damper for special applications: ie. NHRA dragbikes and stunt riders but most track guys prefer a damper to go both way.

You can certainly use a road valved damper on your dirtbike and it will take away any headshake. If you ride in a high speed terrain where the bike is wide open throttle and high gear situations it wont affect you as much. if you ride in tight, low speed terrain or MX type situations then the road damper MAY slow you down or cause fatigue. You can adjust the road damper to LESSEN the effect or we can revalve the road damper to turn it into a dirt damper. You can expect roughly $80-100.00 in parts and labor to turn a road damper into a dirt so keep that in mind with the purchase price of your used damper as well as the purchase price of a correct mounting kit. We can not turn a dirt damper into a road damper cost effectivly.

Thanks-

Eric