Pilot jet problems

Nasty looking valves/seals.What do you think Grayracer?

2e25a515.jpg7a858801.jpg

Carb surgery.

a10d2781.jpg

Anti-bog mod.

27e04275.jpg

2d00f247.jpg

Here are a few pics.

I'm guessing the PO didn't know how to change the oil filter,or he couldn't get it out because of his brilliant idea to weld the pipe and silencer together.

7c3ac1d7.jpg

The tears in the filter make me nervous.

72f4cf71.jpg

Whoa! That would make me nervous too...

You can't see the valve seals from there, and the exhaust valve carbon isn't a big worry, either. But throw that filter far away, and do three or 4 oil changes in a row at 3 hour intervals with new filters each time (or buy a Scotts).

That's an old brass OEM filter...no good.

Well I opened up a can of worms tonight.I started out wanting to get the exhaust off to weld up the crap job the previous owner had done and get rid of all the leaks he left with his globs of flux.I figured on only having to take the carb off. :worthy: No such luck.I had to remove the Seat,tank,sub-frame,rear shock and right radiator just to be able to twist and contort the pipe and silencer to get them off the bike.Genius idea he had welding the two together. :thumbsup:

The original owner welded it while it was on the bike and he missed seams on the other side and underneath that he couldn't reach so I guess he never thought of taking it off,or changing the oil filter for that matter ever again.:worthy:

Anyway I will be grinding down the welds and fixing all the holes sometime this weekend,while the pipe is off I will change the oil and filter as well.It will be a few weeks before I get her up and running again.I never understood what the hell people are thinking.Why not just do it right the first time so crap like this doesn't happen. :ride:

I'll update with pics of the tear down this weekend.

Here are a few pics before the surgery.

4776929b.jpg

bd9dad21.jpg

No WAy, not in a million years,,,,could any reasonable person consider "Welding" the pipe together.."doing it right"

I dont think theres enough metal shavings in that filter yet........And the crank is still good?

No WAy, not in a million years,,,,could any reasonable person consider "Welding" the pipe together.."doing it right"

I dont think theres enough metal shavings in that filter yet........And the crank is still good?

I wasn't implying welding the pipe is the right way,I meant why didn't he just buy a new clamp in the first place?Rather than spend money for a new pipe and silence that I can't afford I grinded down his welds and fixed the holes. Never did I imply that was the right way.

To the question.... I'll find out the condition of the crank when I do a tear down this winter. None of the shavings were magnetic so I'm hoping it's nothing major.