Synthetic oil causes clutch slipping?

Half true.

Synthetic oils have more lubricity. In other words, they are more "slippery" than mineral oils on a per-centistoke basis (a 40-weight synthetic oil lubricates better than a 40-weight conventional oil.)

The slipping clutch scenario comes more from the additives in automotive synthetics than from anything you would put in a motocross bike.

The takeaway is this = synthetics are good. Fine for your clutch. Just make sure you are using a MOTORCYCLE synthetic, not one for passenger cars.

It isn't even half true. Synthetic oil is no slipperier than petroleum unless the base has been modified to be that way. Oils labeled API Energy Conserving II (ECII) MIGHT cause a clutch to slip because of the frictiom modifiers they contain, but they won't necessarily do that. Since virtually all ECII oils are synthetic, people with a poor grasp of logic equate synthetics with clutch trouble.

Any oil of any kind that carries labeling stating that it conforms to JASO MA or MA1/MA2 will absolutely not cause clutch slippage; that's what MA means. Any number of good synthetic motorcycle oils carry this certification. I have used nothing but Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle oil or Mobil 1 Racing 4T for so long I forget when I even started, never any clutch or trans trouble.

Occasionally, you will run across a clutch that "doesn't like" a particular oil to the extent that it makes it drag or grab or some such, but in theses cases, the clutch usually has a problem, not the oil.

Occasionally, you will run across a clutch that "doesn't like" a particular oil to the extent that it makes it drag or grab or some such, but in theses cases, the clutch usually has a problem, not the oil.

If changing the oil works, its just buying time, not fixing the issue.

I've used Castrol Power 1, which is fully synthetic for the past 7 years or so, and have never had any issues in either my honda's or my yam.

I'd never go near a full mineral oil, they arent nearly as good.

Only oil I use in my YZ250F and my YZ450F is Yamalube 10w40, and I have never had any problems running it, and its a helluva lot cheaper than synthetic. I was going to switch to synthetic, but the mechanics said to never use it. That was enough for me and won't be using synthetic ever in my machines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I come across customers all the time asking the same questions about oil. They all wonder whats the difference between car oil and motorcycle oils, full syn vs mineral.

I just shake my head when I hear someone admit they run the cheapest oil they could find at autozone in there R1, Yz, ect.. just becuase they think Motul 300v, or even factory synthic motorcycle oils are to expensive and a waste of money.

I've been running Motul 300v (10w40 full syn double ester) for awhile now and have had zero problems with it.