HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowboyona426

Gearing

6 posts in this topic

Trying to decide what I want to do and looking for some input.

98% of my riding is trails, and some of the trails around here are fairly tight. I haven't been doing much riding the last several years so my skill level isn't what it should be, but I'm having problems stalling my bike in tight/technical stuff.

06 YZ450F

12/49 gearing

GYT-R heavy flywheel weight

Those are the pertinent mods for this discussion. I'm considering going lower on the gearing, but in searching through the forum it seems like a lot of guys are running essentially the same gearing as I am with good results. I had my old 00 426 geared at 13/52 and really liked how that worked, so I'd be looking at 12/52 or 13/55 on this bike to get a similar ratio. Will a 55 tooth rear sprocket even fit? Or should I just keep grinding away trying to improve my skill level so I don't ride like such a goon? Some jetting adjustments may help also, I know my jetting isn't spot on.

I never really felt like the flywheel weight did much for this bike. I know many people have reported big changes after installing the heavy flywheel, but I just never noticed much change. Any ideas why that might be the case?

That's pretty low gearing already! Isn't the bike pretty herky-jerky like that?

I am inclined to think that with gearing that low that you might even be a little more prone to stalling in certain situations? Like if you accidentally brake stall coming into a corner there is less chance for the inertia/traction of the rear wheel to turn the motor over.

Although it may sound counter-intuitive, I would suggest going with a little higher gearing (stock 13/49, or maybe 13/50) and focus on clutching.

Or, best solution of all...Rekluse!

Its a little jerky right off the bottom, but once you get rolling its not too bad. I was out at Batey Bould riding yesterday and got to thinking about it. I think a lot of the problems I was having stalling was just because I'm out of practice in a big way.

The clutch in this bike has never been quite right and that could be part of the problem too. I should just get a new clutch kit for it and see if gets any better.

I'm running 13/51 on my 2007 with a FWW and it works great for everything from brush busting my own trail to wide open 4 wheeler trails.