HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
telluridemx

2011 YZ 450 street legal?

21 posts in this topic

Is it possible in any way to make a YZ 450 street legal in colorado? The dealership says no way. They said that a stator is not made for that year to be street legal.

Yes, but no.

First, the dealer is correct; there is no provision for any auxiliary power in the race-only YZF electrical system.

Secondly, the Colorado DMV will ultimately have something to say about the whole thing, so you should start there, technical issues notwithstanding.

If you are determined to forge ahead (against my advice), read (all of it):

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622555

i've put a headlight and tailight on my 2010, its fine even starting with the light on. Both are LED so have a very small power draw. blinkers wouldn't draw much more. In Kansas its as simple as getting an officer to sign off that its road legal, take it to the county office and get a reissued tag.

Nice!!! Any pics to share?

On a related note, the dog in my avatar is named Kansas. The owner rescued her from a puppy mill in, you guessed it, Kansas.

i've put a headlight and tailight on my 2010, its fine even starting with the light on. Both are LED so have a very small power draw. blinkers wouldn't draw much more. In Kansas its as simple as getting an officer to sign off that its road legal, take it to the county office and get a reissued tag.

Is it possible in any way to make a YZ 450 street legal in colorado? The dealership says no way. They said that a stator is not made for that year to be street legal.

If your state is like PA, no you can't do it. Must have generation for a light to get the inspection sticker in PA. Forget about a YZ, at least an 08 or up. Been trying, can't find a stator. I have an 09 Yz that I kept when I got an 10 so that I could replace my 08 CRF DPed bike. After 5 months, I gave up and I just use the 09 as a practice/playbike.

Hondas are different, lots of options out there. I am thinking of getting another good used 08 and doing another, since I sold that bike originally to buy my 2010 Yamaha.

I have seen in England, there is a company that makes a 2010 YZ 450 into an enduro machine, but that was over there in a magazine. The bike was like 3000 pounds more in price than a KTM, so it wasn't cheap to make that ignition/lighting coil fit!!

the 2010 can and will run lights, unlike the 09 and down. i'll go out to the garage and post pics of the light

it does, and it works very well! I have a complete kit for i have it off for harescrambles and what not

nope fits perfect, about 1/4" of clearence. The light is on a switch ( wouldn't have to be i never shut it off) and that's plugged into the tuner port with the neg grounded to the frame. The bike has change with it on or off while starting

nope fits perfect, about 1/4" of clearence. The light is on a switch ( wouldn't have to be i never shut it off) and that's plugged into the tuner port with the neg grounded to the frame. The bike has change with it on or off while starting

So your saying with the EFI bike, I can run a headlight, tailight and turnsignal? I am very interested if this is true. In PA, we have to run a regular bulb. No led headlight to pass state inspection.

can you show me a schematic of how to do this? How many watts does the efi coil produce, and how much is needed by the engine management stuff?

So your saying with the EFI bike, I can run a headlight, tailight and turnsignal? I am very interested if this is true. In PA, we have to run a regular bulb. No led headlight to pass state inspection.

can you show me a schematic of how to do this? How many watts does the efi coil produce, and how much is needed by the engine management stuff?

110 watts is what the engine produces, I put a 35watt headlight on it kicked it over and it fired right up. I honestly don't know how much is "needed" but to make it legal you could put everything on a switch, start it. then turn it on.

Headlight 35 watts

blinker (should be able to do led) .25-.5 watts at most

tailight/brake (led) 1-2 watts?

you would have a 40 watt drain at most with 70 watts left over, im not sure what the FI needs maybe someone else can chime in.

haha no problem, the best thing i ever did was buy this bike! i loved my 2008 but its so limited for what we ride. Now i can ride nights/roads/pretty much anywhere any time

pro racing in the u.k have lighting kits for the efi yzf450.

just plug and play and the kit does not use a led headlight

so its street legal.

how did you plug it in to tuner port ?

put a small spade connector on the light wire, push it into the tuner port. and seal it