HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chrispa

iphone 4 charger on YZ450

26 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever installed an iphone4 or equivalent mobile phone charger on the standard alternator coil on a YZ450? (or equivalent 450 dirtbike)?

I'm not sure the coil will be able to handle the charger + existing headlight (which I have on the bike).

It should be able to. Its only like 3 or 4 volts. I bet you could just put a 12v outlet on and run alot bigger stuff like big spotlights and little air compressors. If something is using to much power just have a switch on the headlight so you can turn it off and on when you want.

No. The coil is built to only handle the ignition system on these bikes. How are you running a headlights on a YZ450f coil? I can only assume your damaging something by putting too much strain on the ignition system because of the headlight.

2010+

"•14 volt / 110W high output generator powers the battery less fuel injection system."

I put a freakin trail tech vapor on my 08 450 and it wouldn't run at idle with it...lol I ended up running the vapor off a 9 volt bat and had worked very well...pretty funny that a 9 copy will run it but the bike wont...lol ya what he said.....how r u running a head light unless its a wr??? Bike is only made to run itself and thats that...I found that out last week ........

system can handle low power consumption front LED front and rear tail light, didn't know the output was that low, bike will stall then if I hook a charger to the coil.

thanks guys

I'm running this 12v socket from Rocky Mtn. ATV on my WR model. Installed in 15min and charges my phone and my Go Pro when I'm out on long rides. Just connects to your battery.. if you have one

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&webTypeId=217&prodFamilyId=29286&brandId=294

GOPR1863.jpg

The WR has a higher output coil for lights and stuff. And like thepowderblue said, the YZ doesnt have a battery.

Trade up? You like riding an orange shopping cart, fine. I'll stick with a YZF.

LOL my thoughts exactly.:)

2009 and earlier years cannot (low output stator)

2010 and later can (high output stator)

should clear things up?

You can run low consumption light kits on any YZ450F, including those with low output stators. The stator can handle the power requirment of the low power consuming LEDs, I have an 08 which runs them fine. Here in Australia/Victoria, they sell these light kits because to ride in the bush, you require a brake/tail light, head light and horn.