bent bent bent!!!

ok, so yesterday i had a real nasty crash on my 09. I came up short on a 80 ft triple. I just got done tearing the bike apart a couple minutes ago and these are the results-

left side radiator is bent

bar clamps - one is broke other is bent

subframe apears to be tweeked to the right when looking at back of bike

The bar clamps are no problem but what about the rad and the subframe, has any of you guys ever succeeded in getting your rads and subframes bent straight? If so what is the best way to do it. I know im gonna be looking at some serious cash if i have to replace em.

Myler's Radiator in Utah can fix your radiators right up. Great work and reasonable prices. Oh, and quick turn on repairs as well.

You could try bending the sub frame, but aluminum doesn't like to bend too well. You might want to watch eBay for a possible replacement.

dont bother with trying to fix your bent rads, online you can get aftermarket double thick core, made from aircraft grade alluminum for like 60 bucks per 1, so basically like way better cooling and flow for coolant for real cheap, i doubt you will get rad repairs for that cheap and have your rads ever flowing as good as they would of stock, and your sub frame, try to bend it back if you can, should be doable, if she has a crack in er or something like that then weld er up

Those rads are cheap for a reason....I've heard Myler's does good work and has good prices.

Those rads are cheap for a reason....I

True, but probably not the reason you think...... Cheap labor is the big reason.....

The quality is pretty good on these ebay Chinese rads, actually. They're built stronger than the stockers, I'm fairly certain.

But alas, they are not without some "flaws"..... I don't know if others have had the same "issues" getting them on my bike that I have had, but here goes:

While they are bigger, thicker & stronger, the ones I got were not a "bolt-right-on" deal. I had to use my DRD radiator lowering kit to get them to clear my fuel tank. I think KJ790 had similar issues, and made his own lowering kit, if I recall correctly. The lower tank on the rt. side just clears the exhaust by 1/4" or so. This makes me think I need to get another DRD exhaust, because the DRD head pipe has a bend in it to clear the lowered radiator. And finally, for whatever reason, the right side rad's lower, bent fitting for the radiator hose going to the Y-pipe is smaller than the stocker. I don't think I wanna just "tighten up the hose clamp another notch or two" on the smaller pipe; gonna have to engineer a fix on that.....

Back on topic, Mylers repair will definitely be a cheaper repair, even though the Chinese rads are cheap. And there are places out there that make & sell aftermarket subframes. Need to do a "SEARCH"........

Hope this helps somewhat, and apologize for it bein' kinda off topic.....

Jimmie

Sounds like the exact same damage as our 450 today! A rider hit the downed bike on a fast straightaway. Unbelievable.

I've got an 08 complete part out bike, head pushed 3 valves into the piston. I will work with you on prices if you are interested

If the subframe is bent left or right just lay the bike on its side and stand on the subframe. Works for me

Happened last Tuesday.... Bent sub-frame, handle bars, muffler, mashed radiator.

P8230084.jpg

P8230085.jpg

P8230091.jpg

My son bent his subframe a couple times. They can be straightened. i used heat and a heavy hammer or cheater bar. Motion Pro makes a special tool for straightening sub frames but I have not tried it.

My son bent his subframe a couple times. They can be straightened. i used heat and a heavy hammer or cheater bar. Motion Pro makes a special tool for straightening sub frames but I have not tried it.

It is possible to straighten subframes in this way, but please be aware that the subframe will be weakened, and be careful to check for cracked welds after the straightening.

ok, so yesterday i had a real nasty crash on my 09. I came up short on a 80 ft triple. I just got done tearing the bike apart a couple minutes ago and these are the results-

left side radiator is bent

bar clamps - one is broke other is bent

subframe apears to be tweeked to the right when looking at back of bike

The bar clamps are no problem but what about the rad and the subframe, has any of you guys ever succeeded in getting your rads and subframes bent straight? If so what is the best way to do it. I know im gonna be looking at some serious cash if i have to replace em.

You can attempt to bend the subframe back into position BUT, use heat, and bend it once and ONLY once. Do not try to heat and bend a second time. Problem with a subframe you may need to heat up multiple tubes. After the frame is bent back, have a CLOSE inspection of all the welds for stress cracks.

Those rads are cheap for a reason....I've heard Myler's does good work and has good prices.

not true, mine are cxracing rads, and well, i paid 230 for both, their website said 450 for both,

but i think because of a bigger demand for them they are all over on ebay now,

and they all appear to look identical to mine, and some even say manufacturer Cxracing,

My son made a model of a potato chip out of one of the radiators on his 250F once. Sent to Mylers on Monday, and they fixed it and got it back to me on that same Friday for $75. Fins straightened and the whole thing. :)

Sent mine out on Monday to Mylers. Hopefully they can de-warp them and get them back by the time the subframe gets here.... probley should of ordered the MRD exhaust too... I may be OK if i can get the stocker straight.

sucks how much a momentary laps of concentration can be so expensive.

not true, mine are cxracing rads, and well, i paid 230 for both, their website said 450 for both,

but i think because of a bigger demand for them they are all over on ebay now,

and they all appear to look identical to mine, and some even say manufacturer Cxracing,

I believe you, but it is cheaper to get your radiators repaired.

Not really. You can get both for like 90 bucks. You cant beat that

sucks how much a momentary laps of concentration can be so expensive.

I said the same thing back in '03 when I low-sided my WR250 going like 20 mph in a watery rocky berm. Bent my rad all up, and at the time there was really no options but $$$$$ OEM :)

Now all my bikes get Moose rad braces installed !! Extremly smart money spent !! :)