Woodruff Key Failure

At 230 miles of woods riding my woodruff key failed. New to the bike, I had know idea of the problem here. Thank God for this site. My dealer has the bike so I don't have s/n to post right now but will later. Oh yes, a good friend on a 92 XR600R gave me a tow out of the woods. Just I little embarrassing.

Not to bash the WR but I don't know how you guys do it! It must feel like a time bomb ready to go off at the very time you least expect it too. It would drive me nuts wondering if and when it will fail! I would have no confidence on long trail rides and I would never go out by my self - not that I do much of that now. JMO ?

DP

Not to bash the WR but I don't know how you guys do it! It must feel like a time bomb ready to go off at the very time you least expect it too.

only the first 03s had that problem. and if cought befor it failed and fixed the right way ,the bike is amazing. 2004 has a new crank/flywheel taper and a difrent starter gear setup. i beleve it will be able to free wheel backwords some how so if the bike does sputter/fart, it wont jam and send the flywheel a sheering.

as for bashing the WR you shouldnt unless you get a 520/525 exc. Estart is the way to go. even if your building an MX bike. IMHO there are only 2 choices when looking at new bikes.2004 525exc and 2004 wr450f. the only reason im getting a WR is that i work at a yami dealer.

Not to bash the WR but I don't know how you guys do it! It must feel like a time bomb ready to go off at the very time you least expect it too. It would drive me nuts wondering if and when it will fail! I would have no confidence on long trail rides and I would never go out by my self - not that I do much of that now. JMO ?

DP

I picked up my 03 WR450 on January 31st. 1800+ miles on it with NO problems whatsoever. I've never had the tech bulletin performed on the flywheel. Haven't sheered a woodruff key. Haven't had a starter failure. Haven't had a battery problem. This bike has been perfect!! I will admit for the first 500 miles I worried about the woodruff key failing. However, after 500 miles...it just wasn't going to happen. 2004 models will be cured of this issue and I still believe the WR450 is the way to go over the KTM (price, color, suspension, etc.) KTM's are great bikes, no doubt. I just like my Yamaha's better. :D

Sorry if you got the wrong impresion - like I said I was not bashing the bike - I've ridden one and liked it - BUT IT AINT NO KTM ? - I'm just saying that it would be on my mind ALL the time when ridding. There are places that I ride that if I had a failure like that I would have to get it hellicoptered out $$$$$$$$$$$. You know if it were happining to another brand you would wonder the same thing!! :D

Ride On

DP :D

It all boils down to looks, The Yamaha is so beautiful I can't hardly stand it, sometimes I just sit out in my garage and stare at it, I think I even get a little aroused. And the KTM ?? well lets just say that if someone thinks a orange bike with a gold frame is good looking they might want to consider professional counseling.

Hey dp a buddy of mine with a KTM 450 dropped a cam chain, smashed all his valves, trashed some other stuff, had to split the cases and has not had his bike in weeks. Be careful about those KTM's. I'll take a simple woodruff key failure, which I have not had in 2000+ miles over worrying about that.