Scored a yz400f

Hi all! Im new to the 4 stroke world and just bought a 98 yz400f for 400 bucks in excellent shape except for a head gasket. So the bike is at the shop getting a topend rebuild. How are these bikes far as a woods/fast riding terrain? The last bike i rode was a yz250 2 stroke...hoping this 400 will get my 250lb butt around. Also really just listning for all opinions out there such as pros/cons/and general things to consider. Thanks

my only complains about this bike is the weight. it is really. f'n. heavy. otherwise yamaha got it completely right! do general maintenance, jet it right and keep on top of your valve adjustments and it will give you zero issues. fast? they're good at that. tight woods? can be a handful. we've got some real tight trails around here that my xr100 is faster through.

Great find. Those are great bikes. There are several post as far as getting a good setup for woods riding. One thing is change the rear sprocket to around 50 or 51 tooth or get a flywheel weight. That will help the stall speeds when going slow through the woods. Also, change your coolant to some engine ice. I got the engine ice and a 51 tooth rear sprocket and and it helped me alot. I ride woods too. Keep up maintenance and dont skimp on anything. Maintenance is key to a long lasting reliable ride. Alot of people here are very helpful and almost every question on these bikes have been answered on TT. Welcome to the forum and post some pics of it please. I would like to see it. For now, go here https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447989 . Most of your questions will more than likely be addressed there.

The 400 is a good reliable bike, a little on the heavy side but otherwise fine.

I ride with 450's a lot and have no probem keeping up.

As far as the "weight" is concerned, once underway it is not noticeable. The key is try not to fall off to often, focus on staying on.

If the bike still has the decompression lever for starting, consider fitting a 03 yz 450 exhaust cam, or a hot cam.

Also sidestands are available from trailtech at a good price.

The 450 cam and sidestand were the two best mods I have done to my 400.

4 stroke power is much better for moving weight around obviously then a 2 stroke, saying your like 250 itll be fine, although its a 400 not a 450 but should be simular in power, but yeah they have more torque then a 2 stroke, so when you add weight they dont care TOO much, ive doubled with a friend on my 450 and it doesnt make a huge difference it would of made us weigh about 320 pounds minimum

I will second DeeCee. My buddy's ride 450's and I have no trouble keeping up,passing them in turns or on a straight. I weigh 215lbs and my 400 is still full of power. The weight is not an issue with me in the air, in turns, etc. I rode an '07' KX 250 til last year and I loved that bike but I am beginning to love my 400 just as well. It is alot faster, older but very reliable.

thirding DeeCee.

my friends on a 426 and 450 all thought i had a 450..... then i said "why no, this is a 20lb heavier, 400cc" ? they didnt like that answer ?

My son and my usual riding group met up with another group that were old friends of one of our regulars, but didn't know me or junior. My son had his blue '01 up at the front of the group all morning long, spanking the big boys. One of the new guys says to me later on, "You say your son's only 14? That's kind of young to be on that 426, isn't it?"

I just smiled and pointed out that it was a YZ250F.?

Thank you all for the tips as i mainly do ride just trails..Looks like sprocket change and flywheel is on the list to buy when bike gets back. Hearing yall talk about the 400 keeping up with the 450s makes my day. Im def. ready to get it back from shop to see how it does. Ill keep yall updated on how many times it throws me off the back haha.Once again thanks and did i mention its nice to hear people talk good about the 400 vs alot of the 450 owners bashing them...but hey 400 dollars sure beats 4000 dollars for the non competitve riding i do. So i think ill stick with the yz400 ?

Hi all! Im new to the 4 stroke world and just bought a 98 yz400f for 400 bucks in excellent shape except for a head gasket. So the bike is at the shop getting a topend rebuild. How are these bikes far as a woods/fast riding terrain? The last bike i rode was a yz250 2 stroke...hoping this 400 will get my 250lb butt around. Also really just listning for all opinions out there such as pros/cons/and general things to consider. Thanks

That is a great bike. The yamaha engines are pretty reliable, even when abused.

I think there are a few things you can do to make it easy to deal with in the tight woods. If you are 250lbs, you will have the strength to muscle it around. If you had an extra 50cc's, you wouldn't have room to use it.

I think you'll want to mellow it out a bit. I am big fans of throttle cams and rekluse clutches. With those, you'll be able to really enjoy that bike.