HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chriskeit

Shorten YZ450 OEM Exhaust

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if I could shorten the stock YZ450 exhaust silencer?

I have a 2007 YZ450 with a bent exhaust, I see the 2008 came with a much shorter silencer. I am wanting to know if it is a good idea the cut the exhaust to remove the bend and shorten at the same time.

I have done many bikes ranging from my many GSXRs,TLR,KX250,KX125, and have had great luck doing so.

Usually its for looks, but sometimes I will snag a slightly damaged muffler and have cut it to repair it. Cut the can straight, shorten the core the exact amt removed, and rebolt or rivet the end cap back in and your golden.

You can polish a turd but it will still be a turd. The 2008 muffler is definitely a turd.

You can polish a turd but it will still be a turd. The 2008 muffler is definitely a turd.

I just happen to have dumped a turd myself. Its now hanging on the wall in my garage.

Spend the dough to get a slip on or full system its a really big change or like gray said find someone that has one.

I agree......you'd have better luck running a muffler stuffed with a turd..than that stock shorty. And people cutting/shortening/welding etc etc....Making what "you think" is a bad ass pipe.....is also a Turd.....A mickey Mouse -GOON turd

I see it every day........"Look at my bad ass cut down/shorty pipe"

"how come my bike runs like shit now"?

"it lost 6 horsepower "

But hey...it looks cool right?

I just happen to have dumped a turd myself. Its now hanging on the wall in my garage.

Spend the dough to get a slip on or full system its a really big change or like gray said find someone that has one.

Gray said " I'm sure YOU can find someone that HAS one, they SUCK"

I sold mine in 08 for 200 bucks.... I think that was before people KNEW they sucked......they were just "cool" because they were short.

You'd have to pay someone to take one now....or Dr. FrankenPipe would probably buy one.

I chopped my oem muffler which is the same as the OP's 07 and all it did was make it even more obnoxiously loud and it did feel slighty less responsive on the throttle.....granted I only did it because I mashed the end against a tree and gave it a whirl.