Best WR 250 Dual Sport Conversion

I have a Baja Designs kit on my '01 WRF. It's a good kit . . . easy to install and complete except for a mirror. Is it the best? . . . I don't know, but it was pretty much the only one available when I bought it. I have seen others recommended. Try doing a search here and the WR/YZ forum if you haven't already.

How does it fare? Even with the Big Gun Quiet exhaust installed it is plenty loud and the noise would be annoying on the highway for any length of time. I would not want to ride it on an expressway due to the noise and rpms needed to keep up. However it's perfectly fine for riding a few miles to get to the trails or riding into town for gas or a meal. I wouldn't want to have to ride it 40 miles to get to the trails, but 5 or maybe even 10 wouldn't be too bad.

On the "How does it fare" question. I recently rode mine on the highway in Colorado, near Avon, at Altitude. One day we went 30 miles on the highway (I-70). It hummed along pretty well at 65mph or so, with acceleration room to spare if I needed it to pass etc. It also did fine on the secondary highways/roadways. It's basically stock with stock gearing - Just the suggested grey wire and throttle stop mods and and after market baffle. With this gearing, I needed to feather the clutch some on a few of the steepest hills in the woods, but decided to keep it stock so I would have the top end on the highway. I weigh approx 195 without equipment.

I installed the minimum requirements to be street legal in AZ. My bike already had a head light and tail light so all I had to do was install and wire in a hydraulic brake switch, mirror, and horn. Turn signals are only required for night use. I had no problems passing emissions and it was a 2 stroke. The MVD then inspected the bike but didn't check to see if anything actually worked, all they really looked at was the vin # and engine number.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

im looking into making my 05 WR250F a road machine so that i can ride to school and back. ive been looking at many different kits and cant decide on one. i live in WV and from what i hear the motorcycle laws are kinda strict about converting an off road bike. if anybody knows WV laws i would appreciate the help

c-c-t,

if you are reasonably handy, you can dual sport your bike for

much less than the kits that i see advertised. worked for me.

see my sig, esp the link to last year's SDM, and you'll get an

idea of what to do.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

my hub just dualsported his 01 wr 250f, the whole kit including a new headlight was around $150. He bought a headlight, hydraulic brake switch, a mirror, cheapo turn signals, and a horn, then he made his wiring harness and battery pack.

but the tires were another $150. so I guess total he spent around $300 to get it legal here in CA.

but its loud and droning. if you're going to be riding for any length of time on the street, get earplugs. I rode it for 3 miles and had a headache.

c-c-t,

if you are reasonably handy, you can dual sport your bike for

much less than the kits that i see advertised. worked for me.

see my sig, esp the link to last year's SDM, and you'll get an

idea of what to do.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

+2

I used the information and wiring diagram at http://www.farplaces.com/dual.htm to plate my KLX without having to buy an over priced kit. My conversion is documented here on Thumpertalk, https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785595

CAMM

Hey all, my name is Kevin, dirt momma's hubby. I had an old yamaha gt80 that I pulled the entire wire harness, switch assembly, etc. from for my conversion. If you can find an old harness on ebay, you can build your own kit very easily. I unwrapped the whole harness to figure it all out, had to remove a few wires, but overall it was fairly simple because it looked like yamaha color codes their wires the same through the years!! The biggest problem I had was adding a ground wire to tie all my gounds to the negative on the battery. I used an automotive 2 prong flasher, baja designs battery, and a regulator/rectifier from radio shack. So far so good. Did I mention it's Cali plated as of 3 weeks ago??:worthy: But x3 on www.farplaces.com VERY easy to understand his articles...