New to me 03 Yz 450 (rebuild)

So I went to the track sat and sunday. Kid was there both days and had a for sale sign on his stand, but no bike around, nor had I ever seen the bike in question by his truck so I asked him what he was selling. He said he had his old bike for sale and brought it with him to see if anyone was interested. I asked him where it was so I could see it, he was letting another guy test ride it to prove it was tight and ran good.

So the guy comes back and he immediately says hes not interested... so Im thinking to myself what could be wrong with this bike? So I ask him if I can throw down a couple laps. Kid says thats why I brought it. So I look the bike over and its an 03 just like my previous 450. Looks rough on the outside and chain is a little loose and sprockets worn, but everything semed nice and tight and appeared to be maintained really well as the motor was spotless. Kick the bike, starts first kick when hot, impressive, take off and hit the track. Pulls very very strong, rode well, everything is nice and plush. No wobbling, excessive vibration, nothing out of the norm. although I did notice the clutch slipping slightly immediately.

Headed back to his truck to talk to him a little more about the bike to find out maint. mods, etc. Motor is stock, with the exception of valves, bike was just race prepped at his local shop 2 weeks prior (valves, cam chain replaced, everything greased etc.) including a new top end and main bearings installed. I ask him what he wants for the bike and if he has a title. His reply was amazing, $700 because he was hurting for money and needed to get his car fixed with title in hand. I told him to write sold on his sign. Wrote the guy a check and loaded the bike up and brought it home. Bike will be getting torn down to the frame in 2 weeks when I return from vacation and getting a full one over.

Im stoked on this deal seeing as even if I dont keep it I can clean it up and end up selling it for twice what I paid for it. Hopefully this bike doenst give me the headaches of my previous 03 Yz450f because I actually kinda miss it after riding this one.

I was kinda wondering if you guys could give me a little help as to what to look for when I tear the bike down. This will be my second 03 450 so Im semi familiar but I dont know the ins and outs of the bike like I do my smokers. Basically looking for any common issues, problem areas that I should be looking for etc. Im ready to get this motor torn down and (replace what needs to be replaced) get the bike cleaned up and ready to ride. The goal is to have it looking somewhat identical to the 96 I just rebuilt.

Pics will be posted tonight. But heres a cell phone teaser. Sorry for the long post but it should be a fun project.

starting canvas

872976696_photobucket_63022_.jpg

want it to look like this when Im done

IMG_0341.jpg

Ive been doing alot of thinking and had some discussion over in the 2 stroke forum since nobody responded in here:excuseme:... if I can flip this project I will more than likely be rolling a new 2012 Kawi 450 off the showroom floor if I can find one in my area. I just have to open up a 4 stroke and get myself re familiar. I havnt seen the inside of one in about 5 years now. Itll be just like my first time again. Good thing is I still have all the correct tools to do the job.

The project will start as soon as I get home vaca. I was actually surprised how clean the entire bike was once I sprayed a little simple green on the bike everything fell off. The engine was absolutely prestine! I mean SPOTLESS! No baked on dirt, wheels apear to have been cleaned with a tooth brush after every ride, really the only rough spots are the painted tank, and the scratched to hell black plastics. Right now I actually wanna stay home and skip vaca so I can get started on this project, Id much rather spend my money on the bike. I dont know if the wife would go for that however.

Anyways enough rambling, heres some pics after spraying the bike down with simple green and hosing it off with the garden hose.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

I cant wait to get it torn down. Other than greasing things up and double checking top end specs. to be on the safe side, I think 90% of the work will be cosmetic which will = low cost.?

I dont think anyone is replying due to total envy! 700 bucks u kiddin me! Looks like a fun build (EASY!) About the kawi 450 i also was looking at the 12's and rick roush and state 8 both have one and park cycle but the 11's are cheap right now.....just filling you in ?

I dont think anyone is replying due to total envy! 700 bucks u kiddin me! Looks like a fun build (EASY!) About the kawi 450 i also was looking at the 12's and rick roush and state 8 both have one and park cycle but the 11's are cheap right now.....just filling you in ?

Agreed! I paid $1,000 for a 2001 and thought I got a decent deal, lol.

That's what I gave for my 426 was a 1000 bucks. I live down saint clairsville area we two tracks down here and my dad has 60 acres we ride on. In the midsts of trying to make a lil practis track if u ever wanna come down and ride let me know im not fast on a track yet but love riding

That's what I gave for my 426 was a 1000 bucks. I live down saint clairsville area we two tracks down here and my dad has 60 acres we ride on. In the midsts of trying to make a lil practis track if u ever wanna come down and ride let me know im not fast on a track yet but love riding

Lol I have decent speed but Im never the fastest guy out there so dont sweat it. I just enjoy riding as much as possible, and company makes it that much more enjoyable. I sent you a friend request so it will be easy to contact you, Ill def take you up on that offer one of these days.

How was decal works to deal with i was going to custom some graphics for my 426? Def looks sharp on the old YZ?

They were amazing to work with... made a mistake durring ordering and ordered the wrong plate background color. Gave them a call once I noticed and they swapped them out for me at no additional cost. Ill def be using them again for this build, and my 08 Yz after this season.?

Not sure I get why you're going to tear it down if the motor was just prepped by a shop and you're going to flip it. Replace the obvious worn stuff, upgrade the look and you're done. Some easy money there.

For the simple reason that I trust no shop and the kid didnt provide reciepts. The only reason I think that the bike was prepped was because the motor is so clean in comparrison to the rest of the bike. I dont know about anyone else, but I only trust work done by my own two hands. Gives me the reassurance that everything is correct. Id rather be safe than sorry.

I took my street bike in for annual service this spring and Im lucky I looked it over before I took off. Bike didnt wanna start so I started checking things over. Come to find out they forgot to put oil back in the bike after they drained it. ? Never again will I trust anything thats done by a shop. Im not going to be doing a major rebuild, just a good one over of the motor.

Those R1's are screamers but not without oil! What shop was it can u say? That's why I like to do so much of my work my self. You back from vacation yet? Im ready to c more pics...

Lol the R1 is def. a screamer, I have quite a bit of money wrapped up in it which is why Im still holding onto it. Although I have a lead on a 2010 R1 with only 1200 miles at a rediculously low price from an older gentlemen who just wants to get rid of it bc its too much.

Im not going to mention the shop name because the mechanic that made the mistake has since been let go and is no longer associated with them. If you really want to know I could send you a PM but its not fair to mention it in a public forum. Seems I wasnt the only person to have issues with his poor quality of work. He was costing the shop more money than he was bringing in.

I just got back from vaca yesterday evening so I will probably begin tearing the bike down tomm. with pics posted friday hopefully.

Yeh the 10's and newer are just retarded, when they changed the crank positioning so smooth, amazing bike. The shop isn't a big deal at least you caught it that would suck. I just tore mine down to put the hot cams in it and doing the bk mod for the 426. Cant wait to see some pics

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay but when I got back from vaca I had alot to deal with, tons of paper work at work and some stuff around the house to take care of. Bikes been sitting in the back of the garage since.

Im finally done takin care of the mess I came back to so the bike will be torn down tomm. since I finally have a day off! Pics (tons of em as I plan on taking step by step pics to help me with reassembly) of the progress will be up tomm night after tear down! Cant wait to tear into this thing! Should be a fun little project. Dont know if Ill put the money into it I originally planned but it will get torn down and greased, inspected, and cleaned up. So anyone interested should stay tuned! Ill def. have some ?'s.

Congrats on your purchase. I too recently purchased a 2003 YZ450F. $900 on craigslist here in Phx. Plastics all need to be replaced, but it is a strong running bike. Now that I have sourced a good used rear rim and paddle tire....sand dunes here we come!

BTW I found out the hard way about changing the oil(I over filled it and after warming it up and loosing the dip stick....oil puked out all over the place). I think that I may eventually invest in a S/S cleanable filter since the paper ones dont last. I have found that this site offers tons of information on maintenance and troubleshooting. Good luck and keep us all updated. I will gladly help out if I can.