HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ricks426

First Time Taking apart the 2000 YZ426F

6 posts in this topic

This will be the first time taking apart my my 2000 426, any advice on what to watch out for, what to take measurements of? any help would be appreciated.

Follow the manual and measure everything you can. Are you from Ontario Canada or U.S?

This will be the first time taking apart my my 2000 426, any advice on what to watch out for, what to take measurements of? any help would be appreciated.

What are you taking apart specifically?

Just take your time, set things out and in order, and take some digital pics when you are not sure. I always like to screw bolts back in a few threads if I can, so that it reduces the chance that you forget which one goes where. Make sure to get a flywheel puller if you plan to swap out the cam chain.

I screwed up one of my chain guides when I did my top end (it was pretty old and crusty, but I also didn't put it in right), but other than that, everything went well and it started quickly.

This was my first piston/rings job (also did the HotCams and cam chain), and there sure are alot of parts on the work bench compared to the two strokes that I gew up with.

Something that is very helpful is one or more of the plastic small parts organizer boxes with 2" or larger compartments. As you remove each set of bolts, place them in a separate partition, starting at the upper left, moving to the right as you would when writing. Put the cam cover bolts in the first one, the cam cap bolts in the next, and so on. When you're ready to assemble, work in the reverse direction from the last compartment you filled.

Even though I can take a box of scrambled bolts and lay them out on a bench according to where they go, I do this quite often anyway, as it speeds up reassembly by reducing the time taken to find the right bolts for what you're putting together.

^^^^^^^^^

That's a prety good method.

I like to take a medium sized cardboard box, use a pencil to poke small holes through it, then put the bolts through the holes. I group stuff together, then use a sharpie to write on the box to label what the bolts are for. This method has worked fairly well for me over the years.