HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joshr2007

Cheap tricks to get more power out of 02 yz426f?

8 posts in this topic

I am just looking for some minor twists and turns of wrenches that people have done over the years to squeeze out more go juice out of the bike. Also thought about having a hot cams put in are they worth it? I hear a lot of good things.

Yep, get a hot cam exhaust cam or a yz450 exhaust cam...eliminates decompression lever and will give you more grunt and smooth out the hit. FMF powerbomb with the factory muffler is what I run and the bike is fast. I also have jet kit. If you're riding mx, my experience has been you'll override the suspension before you run out of power.

I am just looking for some minor twists and turns of wrenches that people have done over the years to squeeze out more go juice out of the bike.

Keep that oil and air filter freash and clean is #1.

Jetting. NO JET KIT!! Jet kits are good and dandy and you'll notice a difference but if you want spot-on jetting specific for your elevation, temps, humidity, mods, etc., you really should do the jetting yourself. Spend less than $30 and you'll notice a difference, probably the best bang for your buck.

Jetting. NO JET KIT!! Jet kits are good and dandy and you'll notice a difference but if you want spot-on jetting specific for your elevation, temps, humidity, mods, etc., you really should do the jetting yourself. Spend less than $30 and you'll notice a difference, probably the best bang for your buck.

Jet kits are a bunch of jets in them, why no? They are good for people that don't know what their jetting should be at , if they did they could buy 1 or 2 jets, but the kit gives a lot of options, perfect for a beginner or if you plan on adding mods later on that require a jetting change

They are good for people that don't know what their jetting should be at

There is plenty of info regarding jetting for these bikes on this site, even a jetting database. Should take no more than 20 minutes to get a very close, solid starting point.

perfect if you plan on adding mods later on that require a jetting change

Spend an initial $30 on jetting, then do mods and spend another $10 on different jets, and you still spend way less money than a jet kit.

If someone can dial in jetting using the supplied jets from a jet kit, why wouldn't they be able to dial in their jetting using individual jets bought from a dealer?

Any question a beginner may have about jetting can be answered here right on TT.

Jet kits are a bunch of jets in them, why no? They are good for people that don't know what their jetting should be at , if they did they could buy 1 or 2 jets, but the kit gives a lot of options, perfect for a beginner or if you plan on adding mods later on that require a jetting change
What makes you think that the people who put the jet kit together know where your jetting should be? Jet kits use a one size fits all mentality, and get away with it based on the fact that four strokes are enormously tolerant of incorrect jetting.

My biggest gripe with many of them is that they use custom made needles that cannot be easily referenced against those available from Keihin, and which require the use of larger than normal main jets that also make it difficult to cross reference to factory parts.

Read the tuning section of the YZF manual, and this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2881699#post2881699

There isn't anything you can do with a jet kit that can't be done at least as well (usually better) with parts from Yamaha or Sudco.