HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XR300R

Help! Wrist pin to Connecting rod clearance

3 posts in this topic

Hi All, Hope everyone is doing well out there.

I need some help/input with what the clearance should be for the wrist pin to conn. rod on a 00 XR650R. I am doing the top end (all new parts) and when inserting the new wrist pin into the rod...it just seems to have a lot of play. I can "wiggle" it a bit. If I hold the pin between my thumb and forfinger on both sides and the rod with the other and make sure to only pull/push straight up and down I get no "noticable" play. But it wiggles quite a bit when you push/pull unevenly. The inside of the rod looks pretty good...there is a "small" mark on it, you can feel it with your finger, but it is not bad at all. I mean it is just that...a very small mark near the bottom oil hole. The rest (3/4) is perfect.

When I put the wrist pin and piston on the rod I can Maybe feel a "C hair" of play up and down...but it is very slight...so slight it could be my mind playing tricks on me. Any input would be great from people with experience with these bikes. I REALLY do not have the time to do a rod on this bike. The engine has limited miles on it. I am doing the top end in preparation for BAJA 03...and I need to get her back together asap. Is there a service limit to the inner D. on the rod or a sure fire way to measure? Thanks in advance! -John

I ordered a Carrillo Rod from Barnums...don't want to risk it. Denise and Rob seem like really nice people and have been super helpful so far.