HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sirthumpalot

oil dripping from breather

6 posts in this topic

All,

I've got a new 426. It seems to be running great (about 2 hours on it so far) but today about 15 minutes after I turned it off I noticed some oil dripping from the breather connected to the valve cover. Is this normal for a new bike? The first 1.5 hours or so was very slow (my wife was following on an XR-100 so it was mostly 1st/2nd gear just above idle) and today I got to really open it up for the first time. I'm thinking that maybe the rings weren't seated yet and it had more blow-by than normal or something. According to the manual it is ready to race after about 1.5 hours or so of riding, maybe I was TOO gentile and it's not fully broken in yet. Any ideas?

Thanks!

That is perfectly normal.

I put a pc of cardboard in the bottom of my truck after a ride to keep it clean.

Very normal...good idea about the cardboard, I've always forget and get a drip or two on my trailer.

I was pretty worried after the first couple of rides on my 01 426. The bike didn't seem to have any snap and was lugging a bit for the first 20 min of each ride but always got better. On the third ride the problems dissapeared and have not returned. As a matter of fact my bike seems to get faster every time I ride it..... Could just be me LOL

P.S. If you experience abnormal arm pump and you have not thrown away the stock bars yet do it now! I recomend Tag T2 bars. Its amazing how much of a difference a good set of bars can effect comfort and fatigue.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've only got about 2 hours of time on it so far, and none of it track time (all offroad). I can't WAIT to get to a track and try this thing out for real!!