STUMPED!

Okay guys, I'm probably going to feel stupid once I figure this out but... I drained the oil from my bike about a week ago and have been doing various things to the bike since (working on carb, removed forks to ship, etc...) and I had not re-filled the oil until tonight. I pour the oil in (approx 1500cc and it does not drain into the motor! I pulled the lower line (just below the screen) after draining via the front frame drain bolt. I then poured oil in and varified that it was flowing past the screen.

Am I missing something? What can be causing it to not get by the pump? Does the motor have to run first? I could have swore that every time prior when I changed the oil, it drains into the motor before hand. That's why (I thought) that you have to run the motor before checking the level. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Oh, I've also cranked the motor through by hand with the compression release pulled in to see if I could push the oil through with no luck. ?

I'm hoping that someone will tell me just how stupid this question is.

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 06-09-2001).]

Dad: Why do you think the oil has not drained into the engine? Very little oil is carried in the engine sump. I'm not sure what method you are using to make this determination.

my oil change routine goes like this: I start and run the engine at least 15 minutes to thoroughly circulate and heat the oil....and suspend any contaminates. (I would prefer to go and run the engine hard through the gears a few times first, but it's illegal to ride on neighborhood streets). I then stop the engine and put my pan under the engine and remove the drain plug. Only about 150cc's of oil(if that...I've never measured it) comes out here. Then, I hold the pan in front of the frame reservoir plug while I remove it. 90% of the oil comes from here.

I was going to suggest that you add your 1500cc of oil and then crank the engine through 20 times or so with the compression lever pulled in, but you already do that. That's a good thing...it should ensure that the oil pump is primed. After you do this, start the engine and crack open that banjo bolt on the oil line connection at the cylinder head. About 1 turn maximum on this bolt and oil should start seeping out at a pretty good rate. If this happens, your oiling system is functioning correctly. It's a good idea to wrap either a paper towel or shop towel around this bolt before doing this to prevent oil from running out and making a mess. I just bunch the towel and stuff in underneath the bolt so I can watch the oil come out and still catch the seepage. Hope this helps and I didn't ramble on incoherently.... ?

Boit, thanks for the info, but I guess I left out some details. I currently have the forks off and the carb apart so I can't start the bike. I've had it sitting like this for about a week. When I drained the oil after running the bike, I left it empty so I could check the clutch and the flywheel bolt. When I put 1500cc of oil in last night, it's not running out of the frame. It reads about halfway up the dipstick! This just seems very strange to me cause if you recall, there were several posts here from people new to the bike that put too much oil in cause they kept adding and reading the dipstick before running the bike. See where I'm going with this?

Dad, just last week the same thing happened to me. I drained the oil then was filling it up when oil started to overflow from the filler then setteled slightly. I had put in about 1200 cc's. I got confused and thought i had put in 2200 cc's as this had never happened before. By the time i put in what I was sure was 1800 cc's, the level was almost to the top of the filler. I left it for 2 days but the level did not drop, but after i ran it, the level droped to normal.

------------------

Tony Montana

thanks for the info guys. I've just never noticed this before. I always assumed the oil was seeping down into the motor. Of course all other oil changes have been with the engine warm and re-fill just following the oil drain. I'll just wait until I can start the motor again and see what happens.

------------------

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

<font color="navy">Start the motor before checking the oil level on the dipstick. Just make sure YOU DID put the right amount of oil in it (1700mL/cc) and you won't have any problems. AFTER it's been started for a while (not sure exactly how long) the oil level can be inspected with the dipstick.

------------------

~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

[This message has been edited by teamtoxic (edited 06-10-2001).]

Start the motor before checking the oil level on the dipstick. Just make sure YOU DID put the right amount of oil in it (1700mL/cc) and you won't have any problems. AFTER it's been started for a while (not sure exactly how long) the oil level can be inspected with the dipstick.

That's what I have always done, but I never noticed where the oil level was prior to running the engine. This time I checked prior and was confused because I remembered some guys posting that they had added too much when they were new to the bike by checking it prior to running the motor!

That's why I assumed that the oil drains down into the motor.

------------------

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

I had the same thing happen once. I added maybe a liter of oil and it was starting to pour out of the filler tube. So I drained it again to make sure I got all the oil out which I had. Filled the bike again with no problem. I came to the conclusion that there must have been an air pocket not allowing the oil to drain properly.

Nick