HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
climaxx dirtbikes

Fork Seals

14 posts in this topic

I have an 07 WR 450 with very few hrs on it maybe 50hrs. (not sure) My front left fork seal was leaking pretty bad before I cleaned it and I have lost a good bit of fork oil. My question is can I change the oil in them without changing the seals. I know its really not the best thing to do but Im broke and racing in an enduro Sept.4th. It may be in my head but the front end handles like crap right now.

Yes you can. Change it in both forks, and go to 130-125mm in both.

Thanks! I have actually watched this video multiple times already. I think I am going to 5wt oil. I saw somewhere how to make a cheap measuring device for oil level and they also said I could use a ziploc bag in place of the seal saver. I cant seem to find this info again. What are your thoughts?

Thanks! I have actually watched this video multiple times already. I think I am going to 5wt oil. I saw somewhere how to make a cheap measuring device for oil level and they also said I could use a ziploc bag in place of the seal saver. I cant seem to find this info again. What are your thoughts?

I don't believe in seal savers , unless you ride mud regularly, and don't wash and maintain your bike after every ride.

Use a metal rod as a ruler.

I don't believe in seal savers , unless you ride mud regularly, and don't wash and maintain your bike after every ride.

Use a metal rod as a ruler.

When I said seal saver I meant the seal bullet that goes over the top of the fork tube to keep the seal from getting cut when installing.

just used a polythene bag to protect the seal, when fitting it over the stanchion

When I said seal saver I meant the seal bullet that goes over the top of the fork tube to keep the seal from getting cut when installing.

I just used some nylon electrical tape. worked great!

not a smartass remark, serious question: instead of buying or making a fork oil level tool, what's wrong with just measuring out the specific volumetric amount called for in the service manual and then ensuring that you use it all ?

coz you can never be sure how much of the old oil you got out

Unless you strip the forks completely, down to component level, then there will always be some left in the forks but how much you don't know

Further more all components have have a manufacturing tolerance, and lets say you had one fork tube with an ID at bott tol & the other was at top tol, then if you put the same amount of oil in the forks, the levels would be way different because of the different volumes

Its the oil level that determines the 'air spring' effect, not volume, that's why you need to measure the level and not the volume

climaxx,

Re: http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums...al-tool-22397/

Man, that is a great idea!

I love coming up with solutions to problems like that, I wish I'd thought of it!

Well done! :eek:

All I've done to date is use a syringe with a piece of clear plastic tube off it the length required. It sucks out any oil below the level I have set.

Trouble with my idea is that it is limited by the length of tube, ie I need different tubes for different oil levels.

Mine is going in the bin and I'm buying myself a large bulldog clip!

:smirk:

Greg

climaxx,

Re: http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums...al-tool-22397/

Man, that is a great idea!

I love coming up with solutions to problems like that, I wish I'd thought of it!

Well done! :eek:

All I've done to date is use a syringe with a piece of clear plastic tube off it the length required. It sucks out any oil below the level I have set.

Trouble with my idea is that it is limited by the length of tube, ie I need different tubes for different oil levels.

Mine is going in the bin and I'm buying myself a large bulldog clip!

:smirk:

Greg

Thanks! I made mine for $5. I wish my syringe was a little larger although I drilled the small hole at the bottom out to make it easier to suck the oil through. (I learned on the first fork leg)