HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bearsum

2006 WR450F missing tailpipe. Still Legal?

6 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 2006 WR450F. I'm the third owner, the second owner said he didn't do any mods. I went to clean the spark arrestor and found the entire tailpipe was removed, not just the inner baffle. Would this bike have needed to be rejetted because of this? If I replace the tailpipe will I need to rejet? Would it still be noise legal without any tailpipe? I'm going for my first trail ride in a week and don't want to get turned away because the bike's too loud.

I'll have to search other posts to find out how to inspect for the grey wire and where the throttle stop is located to inspect. Anything else I should check?

Thanks for any info.

The tailpipe is a length of pipe welded to a flange that stacks against the spark arrestor flange between 2 metal gaskets, held by four allen head screws. Only the spark arrestor (flange) and one metal gasket are present.

The tailpipe is a length of pipe welded to a flange that stacks against the spark arrestor flange between 2 metal gaskets, held by four allen head screws. Only the spark arrestor (flange) and one metal gasket are present.

I'm not sure how much difference there is between your 06' and my 07', but I replaced that piece with a pro moto billet quiet core insert. It opened up the exhaust and kept the bike quiet, ensuring I wouldn't have any noise issues. And I did not have to rejet for that. I waited until all the free mods were completed to rejet. thumperfaq.com is a great site with picks to walk you through all the different mods. It shows them on a wr250f but still pretty much the same.

The PMB insert comes in around 93-94 db. Without an insert (just the spark arrestor), its like 97-98 db IIRC and IMO sounds like crap. Basically you're at a YZ pipe sound level with a tinny tone.