When did you last grease your swingarm and linkage?

My last ATK didn't have linkage and the front swing arm bearings were an inexpensive standard size roller bearing! Pretty much the best idea ever imo :eek:

I do my linkage every year or anytime I think its had too much water. Also anytime I buy a used bike it gets pulled down almost immediately as this is often the most neglected thing on a bike aside from the rear shock. I've been happy with the Lucas "red and tacky" grease....

Every 40 hours of ride time or every time the bike is submerged.
Dang! How many times have you submerged your bike? :eek:

My WR is good if I hit them up twice a season. My RM on the other hand once a month is not enough, especially on the lower shock bearing. I've been through 3 lower shock bearings already this yr.

My WR is good if I hit them up twice a season. My RM on the other hand once a month is not enough, especially on the lower shock bearing. I've been through 3 lower shock bearings already this yr.

Are you replacing the seals as well?

Do the seal run on collars - do you replace these as well?

If the seals are knackered then the water will get straight in and rust your bearing

Similar, if the surface that the seals, seal against (ie the collars or sometimes the bush that the bearing runs on) then even new seals will also let the water in

Are you replacing the seals as well?

Do the seal run on collars - do you replace these as well?

If the seals are knackered then the water will get straight in and rust your bearing

Similar, if the surface that the seals, seal against (ie the collars or sometimes the bush that the bearing runs on) then even new seals will also let the water in

Replacing bearing, seals, collars, races.

It's only like $20 for the kit, just a pain that you have to stay so on them.

Bike see's alot of mud :eek:

Replacing bearing, seals, collars, races.

It's only like $20 for the kit, just a pain that you have to stay so on them.

Bike see's alot of mud :eek:

$20 !! where ?

$20 !! where ?

JUST the lower shock bearing, not the whole linkage.

Yes, but where did you buy the kit for $20 ?

just search for an 'Allballs' kit

Genuine parts in the UK = £67

AllBalls kit = £14

I have an 06 which I just bought with 75 miles only on it. I stripped the lower shock linkage and it looks good but there wasn't much grease.

I also found one of the oil seal lips was damaged. I guess it must have happened at the factory.

73UKrZDDqVw4SaAD28GfVRUj-dx-DbXMKIIdfLDH6Qk__XZs_N4s2nkoIjzSZqYBLJB5LNTrtTCEmQsie56avPrettdgzM59oLg=s512

So I've ordered 10 seals (min qty) for $2.25 each from a local bearing supplier. $22.50 for 10 is better than $16 for 4 from the dealer.

The size is 25-32-4 which means 25mm ID, 32mm OD and 4mm thick.

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/parametricSearchSecondaryMI.jsp?AM_ACTION=ParametricSearchSecondaryAM&LANGUAGE=0&AM_FIRST=Y&LINE_NO=1&SR_LINE_NO=0&SEARCH_DESC=00601753&SEARCH_FIELD=M&MFR_PART_NO=25X32X4+VG-NBR+METRIC+SEAL&BUS_ACTION=details&display_option=N&CAT_GRP_CD=02030100&var1=1&var2=00601753&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=500&width=600

The site says they're $3.58 but I got a discount.

Edited by gjscott

Lower shock seals are 17ID x 24OD x 2.5 thick which seems to be a special (as is the bearing)

Only seem to be available from Yamaha or as part of the allballs kit - no bearing factors in the UK have these seals or the bearing

Just bought a used KDX 200, and greased the linkage. Good thing I did, the swingarm bearings were just starting to turn red. Will put new in this winter. It is a lot easier to take apart than my WR.

It's nice when someone designs something with the thought that one day, it will need to be disassembled by someone with ordinary skills and tools.

Took it apart because of this thread. I'm happy I did as the small linkage was almost seized solid! Now I need to buy more tools and bearings. The costs of a hobby!