ktm 200 pipe choices

alright i just bought a 2003 ktm 200 mxc two stroke. im very excited about it and really had a ball the first time i took it out. i wanted to do a decent tune up and deep inspection on the bike before i took it out for a big ride so i did that today. i had noticed a bit of spooge around the exhaust port, so thats where i started. after removing the pipe, i discovered that the pipe had taken a hard enough hit to be deformed to the point that the inlet to the chamber doesnt fit properly in the exhaust port anymore. the pipe on it is a fmf gnarly. because of the damage to this pipe ive been looking at buying another chamber for it. ive heard that the factory pipe works really well. im guessing its a mid to top end pipe. the gnarly i know is more designed for low end. the only other pipes ive seen are made by doma and pro circuit. any info on them? what kind of rev range are they designed for? im trying to consider all my options before i get another pipe. hopefully the other aftermarket pipes dont hurt the top end like the fmf does. any info would be much appreciated ?

oh pipe guard for sure i wouldnt dare ride without one especially considering what the terrain is like out here. the pro circuit or the stock pipe seems to be the way to go the issue im having is with the gnarly the bike pulls for the single track i do, but the moment i want to do any reving i have nothing. i understand the 200 is not designed as an mx motor, but i would like some top end. i intend to use the bike for alittle bit of motocross at zaca station motocross track. do some grand prix events too. cool though it sounds like my best bet is a pro circuit. any preferences on silencers? i have the stocker right now

I would second the pipe guard. I put these super thick guards on our bikes when they were new. The pipes are still dent free. However, you run the risk of breaking your exhaust flange. I did that last year with a nasty wreck at a race, the pipe is fine but the flange,, wasted. On my 144 the flange isn't that bad to buy at 54 bucks but a 200 flange is around 100 bucks.

Joe............

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

now something else i noticed. alot of the pipes for the 200 are only advertised for use on the exc models. is there any difference in the engine between the mxc and exc that would affect the expansion chambers usability on the mxc model? or is the ecx just an mxc with a wide ratio box and a light. and im guessing an sx pipe wouldnt work on the mxc im pretty sure that motor is quite a bit different based on the aftermarket available for it

I would second the pipe guard. I put these super thick guards on our bikes when they were new. The pipes are still dent free. However, you run the risk of breaking your exhaust flange. I did that last year with a nasty wreck at a race, the pipe is fine but the flange,, wasted. On my 144 the flange isn't that bad to buy at 54 bucks but a 200 flange is around 100 bucks.

Joe............

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

who makes that pipe guard?

now something else i noticed. alot of the pipes for the 200 are only advertised for use on the exc models. is there any difference in the engine between the mxc and exc that would affect the expansion chambers usability on the mxc model? or is the ecx just an mxc with a wide ratio box and a light. and im guessing an sx pipe wouldnt work on the mxc im pretty sure that motor is quite a bit different based on the aftermarket available for it

The 2003/04 200 SX FMF pipe will bolt on to an MXC, EXC, XC or XC-W. If you want more of the SX feel don't use the Gnarly.

Joe........

The 2003/04 200 SX FMF pipe will bolt on to an MXC, EXC, XC or XC-W. If you want more of the SX feel don't use the Gnarly.

Joe........

so a factory or fmf ktm 200sx pipe from 2003 will fit an mxc from the same year? any info on how the sx pipe would work on the mxc? if the only difference between an mxc and ex engine is the carburetor and maybe a different expansion chamber, it might work reasonably well. i wonder then why theres a fatty pipe from fmf for the sx but not the mxc or exc. weird

First thing I learned about the 200 was that we needed more pipes around the house. When we hit a log with the pipe, we yank it off, stick it in the vise, shove a shovel handle into the inlet and bend it back out to fit the flange. That left side loop on the 200 pipes catches everything. The stock pipe was soft enough that you could sit on the bike, put your left foot against the loop in the pipe and push it out with your foot.

Joe........

do you know how well that would work? i emailed fmf about using the fatty for the sx on the mxc, and they said it might work but should be very careful and sure that everything fits properly before starting due to certain part numbers varying. if anybody has done it id give it a go but that could be 200 bucks down the drain.

nitrojoe, just to clarify the differences between a 03 200mxc and a 03 200exc.The gear ratios are different,(mxc is close ratio, exc is wide ratio) the suspension on the mxc is a little stiffer, the exc comes WITH lights, the mxc does not . The mxc IS wired for lights, they're just not installed. These are the only differences. The motor,carb,frame, pipe,tank,seat,everything else is identical. Hope this helps.