HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mgrych

will this fit?

11 posts in this topic

Have the chance to purchase a scotts steering damper off a 03 yz450F. I'm assuming that i'd have to buy a mount kit for my 09 yz450f, but is that all? Also, is a used damper worth about 200? Let me know what you think? I do a lot of trail riding and think this is a good idea to get a scotts, but don't wanna spend the 500 for the whole new setup

Yes, the damper is the same, and that mount kit for your bike will be all you need. As far as its value, $200 sounds about right to me. They last almost forever, and are repairable/resealable.

Ok, now actually he's saying it comes with an 06-08 yz450f fender mounting kit.. I thought the 09 would be included in those years because it didn't change from 08 to 09 right? Would this work? If it does, then i wouldn't even need to buy the mounting kit correct?

Im not sure if they are the same between the years, but i do know that the fender mount doesnt seem to be the prefered mount, so you may want to invest in the bar mount anyway.

what's the difference other than location?

06-09 fender mount kits are the same. MX guys tend to like the fender kits a little more because they do not adjust the damper on the fly as conditions change. It also allows you to run a bar pad. Most off road guys will run the damper above the bars for SUB mounted below the bars.

Thanks-

Eric

so it has more to do with the ability to adjust while riding and not actual dampening quality? I thought maybe you were suggesting it didn't work as well.

so it has more to do with the ability to adjust while riding and not actual dampening quality? I thought maybe you were suggesting it didn't work as well.

Actuall performance of the damper is the same its just a matter of ease of use. I do hear about some woods riders being worried about the safety of the unit because it is exposed on the front of the bike but we are here in Los Angeles so I dont think I know what a tree looks like where we ride :eek:

we are here in Los Angeles so I dont think I know what a tree looks like where we ride :smirk:

I know what you mean. Big trees out here are either bush's or yuccas :eek:

That's funny, i wish i lived out there.. Our trails are lined with trees as deep as the forest is.. one false move and you get to meet one face to face..