2 scotts performance questions

1. Just got my new filter and there is no rubber gasket on cover side. I assume there isn't supposed to be since it isn't necessary and oil will only flow through there when pressure relief is open but I just wanted to confirm.

2. I also got top mount kit to install the damper I bought for my 04 that I never used. The damper and arm is the same right?

Gray, Eric, anyone? Thanks!

1) Yes, that's normal. The Scotts uses no "seal" on the closed end. That was never a seal, anyway, but a base pad that allowed for production variances in the filter length, and provided a little more squish. It ensures a good seal on the open end without the risk of crushing the element. The Scotts is both more precisely made and stronger, so it's not needed.

2) I believe the arm is the same. You will know for sure when you go to drop the damper in place as the last step. The slot in the arm should come very close to centering on the pin.

Thanks appreciate it! Getting ready for a trip and making sure I got everything straight.

Read the manual on the damper as to how it's supposed to operate and how to make the adjustments to it, particularly the function of the high speed circuit.

Yes, the arm is the same for most model bikes so you should be good to go!

thanks guys, getting ready to install it. Filter is in and had plenty of crush to seal in the rear. Looks like a good bit more filter surface too.

Looks like a good bit more filter surface too.
One of the differences between Scotts and some of the knock-offs is filter area. The length of the element is the same, of course, but that times the number of pleats and their depth adds up to the actual size of the screen used in the filter. The Scotts has 40% more than at least one of the cheapies I've seen.
One of the differences between Scotts and some of the knock-offs is filter area. The length of the element is the same, of course, but that times the number of pleats and their depth adds up to the actual size of the screen used in the filter. The Scotts has 40% more than at least one of the cheapies I've seen.

Definently a significant differance from the pos I pulled out