Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mazak500

08 yz450f burning oil

13 posts in this topic

i bought the bike brand new in 08 and this year it started to burn oil. a month or so ago i went riding and i think i rode around 50 miles and when i got back and check my oil it was way low! had to put around 1/2 quart in to fill up.

When the bike and sits idle and i hit the gas it puffs a whitesh smoke out.

There is no coolant in the oil. any suggestions? maybe time for a top end??

I have no hour meter on it so i dont know how many hours i have on the bike

Sounds like it's time for a new piston and rings. While you're at it, replace the cam chain. Some of them stretch and can jump teeth on the came.

I would call your local shop and ask. They should have a book on hand that shows how long certain jobs take. If they ask you to bring the bike in for an estimate, they are lying through their teeth. My guess is $400+ with parts.

Cylinder recoated, piston, rings, exhaust valves pitted, and crank is worn! I can't believe that. Went from 500 bucks up to 1300 to fix. I'm having the shop put all new valves in while it's apart

I would ask another shop for their opinion and quote just to make sure those guys aren't pulling your leg.

Cylinder recoated, piston, rings, exhaust valves pitted, and crank is worn! I can't believe that. Went from 500 bucks up to 1300 to fix. I'm having the shop put all new valves in while it's apart

that sounds abnormal but anything is possible especially with unknown amount of hours and I don't know your maint schedule. Either way will be like new

It's also possible if it were very low on oil. That could've done some damage to the bearings.

The guy that is fixing it is real good at what he does and everyone I know says he's the best around.