Keep Getting Dirt in the Carb

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but my experience with Notoil has not been positive.
Nor has mine. For one thing, I was not at all impressed by the amount of work needed to gfet the filters clean using either their special cleaner, or Oxy-Clean. For another, the oil looses its tack way too fast. I oil 3-4 elements at a time, hang them out to drain off any excess and let the oil "dry", then bag them up for later use. The No Toil looses its tacky feel in just a few days, whereas FFT stays sticky indefinitely.

To be fair, I hear it's improved since then, but I have on need to change what works.

The best way to clean the filters is to get a 5 gal bucket with a lid. Fill it with 4 gals of diesel. Buy some rubber gloves and wash the filter in the bucket of diesel, then wash the filter with some dish or laundry soap, rinse and let dry. The bucket of diesel will last a very long time. All the bad stuff sinks to the bottom.
This is my method, except that I use mineral spirits and skip the soap and water. MS is much less oily than Diesel.

NEVER...NEVER...NEVER...use diesel or gas to clean your filter. ... Using gas or diesel will shorten the life of your foam filter.

Gas should not be used to clean filters (or anything else) because...

1. It's very toxic.
  2. The vapors are very toxic.
  3. It's RIDICULOUSLY flammable.

Its effect on filter longevity is highly questionable. The filter is, after all, part of the fuel system.

But Diesel? Not so much, although Diesel is absorbed through the skin, and has a cumulative toxic effect that can lead to kidney failure.

It doesn't take a ton of fft to get good coverage on the filter. I usually pop a small hole in the foil that covers the opening on the fft bottle and drizzle the fft all over the filter before gently squeezing it into the filter surface.
Foam (or gauze) filters don't filter anything smaller than a very large grain of coarse sand. The oil is what catches the dirt. The element must be thoroughly oiled clear through the entire cross section of the media, or it can't reach its potential. Oil it, work the oil clear through, squeeze off the excess that you can, then hang it to drain any further excess and allow the vehicle solvents to evaporate.

It can break down the glue in the filter.

Edited by ttr250dude

Any facts or test data to back this theory up?

I have heard of it happening to someone here on TT. Dont ask who, it was over a year ago, i have no clue. Maybe it only degrades low quality glues or something, idk. But yes it has happened.

I have heard of it happening to someone ...

I've heard a lot of things, here and elsewhere.

here is what you need

7602.jpg

, I had the same problem desert riding and installed one of these 7 6 0 2 racing vent filters and no more dirt/dust in the carb. I clean it every 15 hours or so and it is full of dust every time, plus they offer any color combo you could want. btw, TT wont let me type the name or website for some reason, so just google it.

As far as air filter oil, I use the red no toil, but I clean it every ride and oil the filter the day before. I will agree that it looses tackyness over time, but its just so easy to clean, and I have never had any dirt get through, just make sure your using rim grease.

here is what you need

7602.jpg

, I had the same problem desert riding and installed one of these 7 6 0 2 racing vent filters and no more dirt/dust in the carb. I clean it every 15 hours or so and it is full of dust every time, plus they offer any color combo you could want. btw, TT wont let me type the name or website for some reason, so just google it.

As far as air filter oil, I use the red no toil, but I clean it every ride and oil the filter the day before. I will agree that it looses tackyness over time, but its just so easy to clean, and I have never had any dirt get through, just make sure your using rim grease.

I ordered one of the 7602 filters yesterday so I'll probably be seeing it at the beginning of next week. I'll also be trying out the Maxima FFT oil.

Just make sure to soak the tubing in some warm water to stretch them out and use a bit of oil on the ends to get them on, because the lines are a bit smaller than stock.

Any facts or test data to back this theory up?

It (diesel and gas) broke down and seperate the last three filters that I have clean out using fuels...UNI (on my yfz450 last year), and just recently with the Moose foam filter that came with my yz450F. So yeah...there's proof that the fuel can and does cause damage to the glue on two stage foam filters. I wouldn't have posted my response if I did not have it happen in my case. Just posting to try and save others from having to replace foam air filters after a couple of cleanings. I agree that fuel clean the filters faster, but I would rather not use the harmful solvents and then try to wash them out with soapy water only to dump in in the soil or let it evaporate into the atmosphere. The biodegradable water based cleaners work just as effectively and aren't flammable, smell, or have adverse effects on your kidneys.

EXACTLY!! :smirk:

I use Grey's method of cleaning filters (mineral spirits in a five gallon bucket). I use Twin Air filters and also the No-Toil filters (leftover from when I used to buy them pre-oiled from no-toil). For the last few years I have only used Maxima FFT and occasionally PJ1 spray on (I have 'won' the PJ1 twice at club events).

All that said, the Twin Air, No-toil, and a Uni-filter have all held up just fine with the mineral spirits, HOWEVER, I have had both a Moose filter and a Yamaha stocker fall apart at the seams after cleaning with mineral spirits.

All that said, the Twin Air, No-toil, and a Uni-filter have all held up just fine with the mineral spirits, HOWEVER, I have had both a Moose filter and a Yamaha stocker fall apart at the seams after cleaning with mineral spirits.

Bam. Heres one example of filters falling apart at the seams/glue from something other than true air filter cleaner. Not specifically desiel, but none the less, something that wasn't specifically made for cleaning air filters.

Bam. Heres one example of filters falling apart at the seams/glue from something other than true air filter cleaner. Not specifically desiel, but none the less, something that wasn't specifically made for cleaning air filters.

Also, the above mentioned filters fell apart the FIRST time I cleaned them in mineral spirits. The others, however, have been holding up for years.

Bam. Heres one example of filters falling apart at the seams/glue from something other than true air filter cleaner.

It's an example of a filter that's a POS, is what it is. I have 3 Twin-Airs, 3 Amsoil filters, and an old White Powerfilter that are all very well used and have been washed multiple times in mineral spirits without a failure of any kind.

The only thing thing "true air filter cleaner" does better than mineral spirits or shop solvent is sell overpriced aerosol cans to people who don't know better, and anyone who would make a fuel system part out of materials that can't stand exposure to fuel should not be allowed to drive or use sharp implements.

Bam.

It's an example of a filter that's a POS, is what it is. I have 3 Twin-Airs, 3 Amsoil filters, and an old White Powerfilter that are all very well used and have been washed multiple times in mineral spirits without a failure of any kind.

The only thing thing "true air filter cleaner" does better than mineral spirits or shop solvent is sell overpriced aerosol cans to people who don't know better, and anyone who would make a fuel system part out of materials that can't stand exposure to fuel should not be allowed to drive or use sharp implements.

Bam.

Well said!

Bam.

I have heard of it happening to someone here on TT. Dont ask who, it was over a year ago, i have no clue. Maybe it only degrades low quality glues or something, idk. But yes it has happened.

Either way, it's an example of an air filter breaking down from being cleaned by something other than air filter cleaner. Wether the air filter cleaner be over priced or not, it is a case of a filter breaking down due to being cleaned with something other than AF cleaner. And like i assumed in my other post, it happens to low quality filters and not high quality filters.

Nice try. Do you think you'd be money ahead in a year's time to go cheap on your filters and keep buying your $4 AF spray, or get a couple of decent filters and clean them in $7 worth of a good shop solvent?

Gray, i never mentioned how much it would cost in the long run. I was talking about certain filters falling apart from certain solvents...

Yes, I know. Certain substandard, poorly made, junk filters. You were trying to blame the solvent for their failure, when the filters were at fault.

Yes, I know. Certain substandard, poorly made, junk filters. You were trying to blame the solvent for their failure, when the filters were at fault.

Bam Bam