Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ttr250dude

Who uses a tall seat?

23 posts in this topic

I am 6'3". When I'm standing my knees cant get a good grip on the seat, and when I sit my knees are a little more bent than I'd like them to be. Does anyone use a tall seat? How do u like it compared to stock? Thanks, bill804

used one on my 426 for about 1 ride. Im 6' 2". It screwed up the geometry all sorts of ways. Just stay standing more.

When you are sitting down it makes it even more likely that you will hit your knees on the bars. it also gave me a feeling like i was sitting on top of the bike and had a high center of gravity

Hi, I'm the same height. I use a tall seat on 06 YZ450. It helps a ton with the transition from sitting to standing. I also lower the pegs and use the Applied clamps with the bars higher, and moved forward. For me, these mods are a must. I find myself much more likely to be using proper body positioning when the bike is set up this way. Plus I can ride longer, and my back holds up better. These bikes are not set up for a rider our size. I use the SDG Tall seat. It's not perfect, but it works well and is reasonably priced. The foam breaks down after a while. I just replace it after about a year. Good luck!

i can already tell theres going to be a hundred "its horrible" and "its my favorite mod by far" answers, its like asking a question about oil, just decide if you realy think you need it, if not don't buy, if so buy it. either way dont stress and have fun!:smirk:

Does anyone sell a tall seat with soft foam? My ideal setup would be a tall/soft complete seat that has a stock looking seat cover.

i can already tell theres going to be a hundred "its horrible" and "its my favorite mod by far" answers, its like asking a question about oil, just decide if you realy think you need it, if not don't buy, if so buy it.:

Well there hasn't been a hundred answers, just two. And by your logic, if people have different ideas on set up, or what they prefer, then the question shouldn't be posted. I think the forum is intended to air different opinions and knowledge, that is what brings out the infomation.

Hi, I'm the same height. I use a tall seat on 06 YZ450. It helps a ton with the transition from sitting to standing. I also lower the pegs and use the Applied clamps with the bars higher, and moved forward. For me, these mods are a must. I find myself much more likely to be using proper body positioning when the bike is set up this way. Plus I can ride longer, and my back holds up better. These bikes are not set up for a rider our size. I use the SDG Tall seat. It's not perfect, but it works well and is reasonably priced. The foam breaks down after a while. I just replace it after about a year. Good luck!

How did you lowwer the pegs?

I am 6' 2" and could never get used to the tall seats. When sitting I felt like I was perched way too high, and when standing I felt like it was in the way. That said, I am not a big 'knee gripper'.

It really is personal preference though....I have a couple friends that love them.

When you are sitting down it makes it even more likely that you will hit your knees on the bars. it also gave me a feeling like i was sitting on top of the bike and had a high center of gravity

Sitting on top of the bike? Isn't that the point? :smirk::banghead:

It feels like it has a higher center of gravity because it has a higher center of gravity.:p:bonk:

I've never had the sensation that I'm gonna hit my knees on handlebars on any bike i've ridden. Do you think the OP is talking about pit bikes or something?

I'm not sure if your post is serious or not.

I am 6'3". When I'm standing my knees cant get a good grip on the seat, and when I sit my knees are a little more bent than I'd like them to be. Does anyone use a tall seat? How do u like it compared to stock? Thanks, bill804

Buy one.... try it, if you don't like it, sell it.

I like my SDG tall seat (I'm 6'5") but I understand it's not for everyone and it does change some ergonomics of the bike.

At 6'1" I use the SDG Tall Seat as well. It is very comfortable. A friend and I swapped out bikes and he loved the tall seat for comfort. The big picture for me was the ease of transitioning between sitting and standing.

As far as looking stock?

1b67aff5.jpg

I was hearing the same thing concerning the 'feel' of the bike with a tall seat when i was looking at YZ250. I wasn't sure if it was true for all bike or only some so i thought i'd ask. I'll try soft foam with a more grippy seat. I sit a lot more than i stand so i can live with the awkward knee gripping thing.

I would buy a tall seat and sell it if i dont like it but i cant afford a $40 loss right now. I know that i will for sure be happy with soft foam, high grip cover so i'll go with that. Working part time and paying off my snowmobile, not much spare change lying around in my pockets.

guts racing sells tall foam in soft medium or hard. I went with the tall hard foam with a 1/2" step and ballistic seat cover. The hard foam is not much harder than stock and imo still softer than the sdg seat. if you ride mx I would definately not go with soft foam, it would be too hard to move around the seat. The foam is 1 inch taller than stock in the middle, the front and back are still the same height so it makes moving around the bike much easier for me, as well as giving me that extra material so my knees can finally grab something when I stand. I thnk it was well worth the money, and along with the str low peg mounts I have makes riding the bike a lot easier for me being 6'4".

here is what it looks like.

dirtbike10000.jpg

fixed it

Edited by Steel Panther

Sitting on top of the bike? Isn't that the point? :smirk::banghead:

It feels like it has a higher center of gravity because it has a higher center of gravity.:p:bonk:

I've never had the sensation that I'm gonna hit my knees on handlebars on any bike i've ridden. Do you think the OP is talking about pit bikes or something?

I'm not sure if your post is serious or not.

Herp derp derp.

When you are sitting down coming out of a turn and on the gas you have never hit your knees on the handle bar? Do you ride like once every year or something?

Having a taller center of gravity is not going to help the handling of the bike. Period. The best thing to do is to stand more anyway, it doesnt matter if you ride MX or trails its the best habit to get in to if you are 5'1" or 6'5".

Sorry to piss off the tall seat gods and not bow down to the power of it. Its funny you reply the way you did to my post and then say they arent for everyone. Irony.

I would buy a tall seat and sell it if i dont like it but i cant afford a $40 loss right now. I know that i will for sure be happy with soft foam, high grip cover so i'll go with that. Working part time and paying off my snowmobile, not much spare change lying around in my pockets.

See if you can buy just the foam and buy a cheap aftermarket seat cover? I got my foam off ebay when i tried the tall seat.

If I buy newI can get the guts stock height/soft foam for $60 and a grippy GYTR cover for $47. Does anyone make a tall seat cover that looks like the sock one? (blue sides/black top)

How did you lowwer the pegs?

Where the footpegs mount to the frame, I cut off the collars from the main part, then had a friend weld them to the top side. This moves them down and back a bit. Another option, I think IMS sells pegs that are lower.