HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THE CYBERDEMON

Chain Question

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 wr450f, I just ordered a primary drive gold chain and steel sprocket kit form Rocky Mountain ATV using their machine filter. They sent me a non o-ring chain and I was wondering if I can use this chain or do I need to send it back for an o-ring type.

Thanks

Most people believe that o-ring chains last longer than standard chains. I definately agree, and that's all my bikes ever see. However, it's your choice. Either will work. Maniac

Thanks guys I love this forum, I asked cause I thought I remembered my uncle telling me that you should only use a regular chain on bikes that came with regular chains, and only use o-ring chains on bikes that came with o-ring chains. I just put the regular chain on, :smirk: I have to ride today, and tomorrow, and possibly the next three days after that.:p

I have been riding for 30 plus years and rode tons of bikes with non o ring chains. I went with a non o ring chain because they were cheap, but there is a reason. I just pulled my old xl 600 out of the woods wed for a broke chain after having to leave it for three days. I have always wore chains out before breaking, but this was a first. We do have a lot of mud and water down here in the south so i should have known. I always kept my chain lubed. I will never go back with a non o ring cheapy again.

Thanks guys I love this forum, I asked cause I thought I remembered my uncle telling me that you should only use a regular chain on bikes that came with regular chains, and only use o-ring chains on bikes that came with o-ring chains. I just put the regular chain on, :smirk: I have to ride today, and tomorrow, and possibly the next three days after that.:p

If you have a bike that came with a non o-ring chain an o-ring chain may not fit in the chain slider. I have never seen this problem only heard from others. The wr should have come with an o-ring chain from the factory, I think so you should have no problems...