Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
humpness

going from 06-09 to a 10-12 for the trail

10 posts in this topic

right now i am running a 07 yz450 and i am really happy with the way it is set up for the trail. i have about 120+ hours or so on my machine and curious about the new bikes. Does it have any of the same feel or is it just a world apart? I would plan on getting the usual offroad hardware plus gytr tuner for my never ending ocd. Recent reports are not so good on these bikes and I have read that they take a different riding style than before. help me out please, its this or 350xc or 450sx.

I felt the 08 made the 450 feel like a big bore 250F. The frame changes made it turn a whole heck of a lot better. Having said that, there is no replacement for a perfectly set up bike no matter the year.

I've heard that it turns more like a 2-stroke because there's less weight over the front end than other 4t. Due to the fact then the enging is tilted back.

I started with an '02 YZ426, then went to an '06 YZ450, and now I am on a '10 YZ450. I don't ride the track, just desert. Lots of high speed sandy washes, but also a lot of loose/rocky trails and some slow-speed rocky washes. The difference between my '06 and my '10 feels about like the same leap forward in handling between my 426 and my '06 450. It is a great bike. I can feel a BIG difference with this new bike. I also have the tuner and it is nice to be able to tune for different conditions. What are the "not so good reports"? The most negative thing I have heard about his bike is the lack of top-end power. This is true, but for my abilities and riding conditions, it hasn't kept me back from anything at all. I feel like the bike has plenty of power. And if I ever get to the point that it bothers me, it is a simple bolt-on exhaust fix. Everyone says putting a proper exhaust on this bike really wakes up the top end. This bike goes exactly where I turn it, and it is very confidence-inspiring in the corners.

You should dig through the 2010/11 offroad threads there are quite a few. I think it makes an awesome woods bike with a little work. I can't tell you how different it will feel from the bike you have but I bet the difference wouldn't be negative.

I started with an '02 YZ426, then went to an '06 YZ450, and now I am on a '10 YZ450. I don't ride the track, just desert. Lots of high speed sandy washes, but also a lot of loose/rocky trails and some slow-speed rocky washes. The difference between my '06 and my '10 feels about like the same leap forward in handling between my 426 and my '06 450. It is a great bike. I can feel a BIG difference with this new bike. I also have the tuner and it is nice to be able to tune for different conditions. What are the "not so good reports"? The most negative thing I have heard about his bike is the lack of top-end power. This is true, but for my abilities and riding conditions, it hasn't kept me back from anything at all. I feel like the bike has plenty of power. And if I ever get to the point that it bothers me, it is a simple bolt-on exhaust fix. Everyone says putting a proper exhaust on this bike really wakes up the top end. This bike goes exactly where I turn it, and it is very confidence-inspiring in the corners.

I still wish my 06 handled like my old 00 did in the woods... but I would like to try a 10/11 one of these days. I'm about due for an upgrade.

I still wish my 06 handled like my old 00 did in the woods... but I would like to try a 10/11 one of these days. I'm about due for an upgrade.

What did you like better about the 2000 426?

does the bike feel as foreign as some people claim? i know im not making this very clear. i have heard that it is an odd duck the way it handles.

does the bike feel as foreign as some people claim? i know im not making this very clear. i have heard that it is an odd duck the way it handles.

I have never ridden one but i have heard that it kinda turns a little more like a 2t due to there being less weight on the front end.