HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
krakaphat

2004 wr450 light problem

5 posts in this topic

Hello guys

Not sure if i have the right spot but here goes, i have a 2004 wr 450 and i have an issue with the headlight when idling the headlight works but a little dim, it brightens up when revved however at idle with the headlight on the indicators dont work but with headlight off they do work.

Also when indicators are on when turning a corner and i give it open throttle and take it to high revs the indicator globes blow.

Does this sound like a rectifier problem, i have heard that the headlight runs off ac power, is this the same for the indicators too, i am only running dc globes could that be my problem, im not even sure you can get a H4 a/c globe.

The lights run off of DC power. Check all connections especially your grounds for corrosion. Bad connections can cause some very strange problems. If all connections look good then you might want to look into the regulator

The lights run off of DC power. Check all connections especially your grounds for corrosion. Bad connections can cause some very strange problems. If all connections look good then you might want to look into the regulator

you might want to check into this a bit further, i had a 05 wr450 and i'm pretty sure the lights were a/c, the rectifier converted the a/c to d/c to charge the battery but the lights ran straight of the regulator in a/c. The reason i know this is i had a similar problem with mine in at idle it was fine but at revs it would blow the front and rear bulbs (didn't have indicators) but battery charge voltage was fine (around 13.5-14). Easiest way to check is put a meter on it and see what it's putting out

ok ta, the front globe seems ok, the indicators have blown and the rear tail light, i will look into it, was just checking if the lights were dc or ac as i dont have a manual and find it hard to find one online

you might want to check into this a bit further, i had a 05 wr450 and i'm pretty sure the lights were a/c, the rectifier converted the a/c to d/c to charge the battery but the lights ran straight of the regulator in a/c. The reason i know this is i had a similar problem with mine in at idle it was fine but at revs it would blow the front and rear bulbs (didn't have indicators) but battery charge voltage was fine (around 13.5-14). Easiest way to check is put a meter on it and see what it's putting out

Yes you're correct they are AC. It comes straight from the magneto before the rectifier. My bad.