2008 yz450f known problems???

Hi, I just purchased a 2008 yz450f with extremely low hours, around 5 or 6 hrs. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be watching for as far as reliability issues. I was told that the 2008's have some cam chain problems or cam chain tensioner problems, does anyone know anything about this?

Also, how would I know if my bike jumped a tooth on the timing? Would it be hard to start? Backfiring? Running rough?

Also if you have any tips or advice, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Hi, I just purchased a 2008 yz450f with extremely low hours, around 5 or 6 hrs. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be watching for as far as reliability issues. I was told that the 2008's have some cam chain problems or cam chain tensioner problems, does anyone know anything about this?

Also, how would I know if my bike jumped a tooth on the timing? Would it be hard to start? Backfiring? Running rough?

Also if you have any tips or advice, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Keep the air cleaner clean and oiled with either maxima or belray.

Use a high quality true synthetic oil.

Install a Rekluse Pro, 06 yz cdi, woods high bars.

Keep the air cleaner clean and oiled with either maxima or belray.

Use a high quality true synthetic oil.

Install a Rekluse Pro, 06 yz cdi, woods high bars.

None of that answered the O.P's question.

Here's a thread with some good info on the cam chain issue:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829353

I believe typically when a YZ jumps time it's the intake cam jumping a tooth retarded, which would make it run badly, especially at high rpm's. Usually this is caused by a kinked cam chain, believed to be from a run of cam chains that were less than par in quality. You might replace the cam chain as a precautionary measure, but if the bike truly has only 5 or 6 hours, it's probably safe to say it's ok at this point.

I believe typically when a YZ jumps time it's the intake cam jumping a tooth retarded, which would make it run badly, especially at high rpm's. Usually this is caused by a kinked cam chain, believed to be from a run of cam chains that were less than par in quality. You might replace the cam chain as a precautionary measure, but if the bike truly has only 5 or 6 hours, it's probably safe to say it's ok at this point.

It can be either cam or both that jump. Ordinarily, they won't even run with a cam slipped out, but if they do, they run very poorly.

Unless the PO already replaced his, just figure $65 for a chain and tensioner into your budget.

None of that answered the O.P's question.

Here's a thread with some good info on the cam chain issue:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829353

I believe he asked for any tips or advise.

It can be either cam or both that jump. Ordinarily, they won't even run with a cam slipped out, but if they do, they run very poorly.

Unless the PO already replaced his, just figure $65 for a chain and tensioner into your budget.

So when should I replace the cam chain and cam chain tensioner? Around 50 hours? THanks for all the help!

Immediately after buying it, and once a year thereafter.

the oem cam chain is under 20bucks. Ive replaced mine once in four years and I have massive hours on my bike, 07. The 08 is a solid bike but i think the 08s had iffy cam chain record.