Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottwilson

yz450 2010 Gearing Set-Up

5 posts in this topic

Firstly apologies if this is posted elsewhere on here but i cant find it! anyway currently i am running 13/49 gearing for mx, it feels like 2nd is two low for some corners but 3rd is to high if that makes sense?, can anybody else recommend a different set-up. Our local dealer has suggested 13/47 but since i live in England there is not as much knowledge/exp of these bikes as there is with the us/canda and that is why i would like your view on this.

any help is appreciated

Scott

I have a 13/50 on mine. The reason I went this way was because 3rd seemed to be to high too me going into corners. I wanted to be able to go into and through the turn in 3rd without having to use the clutch.

By going up a tooth on the back solved the problem for me. Now I have been able to go around corners and not use the clutch. However if the turn is real sharp I do have to use the clutch unless thats if I'm not in 2nd gear and if I am then I dont use it.

Plus it gives you a little bit more take off from the starting gate.

Oh boy. Always hard to find that perfect combo - I agree. I believe in switching out sprockets for different tracks, but that's a PITA. I like the 49 as a general rule (48 was stock), and OBTW 49 was stock on '06 to '09 YZ450F's and the transmission ratios are all the same including the '10, '11. I don't mind jamming down to 2nd gear and shifting to 3rd on the exit, but yea if you like to ride smooth and roll through in 3rd, 50 tooth is better. I wouldn't rule out using anything from a 47 to a 51 tooth depending on the track. I tune the bike for the track, including engine mapping with the GYTR tuner.

Adjust the gearing for the obstacles and track conditions. The corners vary too much and often times the lines are formed by slower riders.

If you are regularly using the clutch in the corners your doing it wrong. Clutching upsets your balance and momentum.

Adjust the gearing for the obstacles and track conditions. The corners vary too much and often times the lines are formed by slower riders.

If you are regularly using the clutch in the corners your doing it wrong. Clutching upsets your balance and momentum.

Great comments. :thumbsup: