Love my WR450!

I've been riding for many years, but at 48 I'm doing more trail riding these days than anything else. I've always ridden motocross bikes in the past, CR's, CRF's, YZ's, YZF'S and a of couple KX's, but in March of this year I bought an '03 WR450 to ride the trails.

After a few months of going through the bike, which included getting it street legal here in VA. I finally got everything just so and took a trip to the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV. We had an awesome trip, rode about 180 miles and the bike performed flawlessly everyday, not one issue! It's been a long time since I've had a bike I've liked this much! Just sayin! ?

How did you like it in the tight twisty stuff? I just got a 03 also, only rode it once so far, the bike is awsome, I thought it was a bit much in the slow stuff but then I think I just need to get use to it.

We took some teenagers(our son's) with us this time who are not very experienced, so to be safe we didn't ride any of the really tight single track trails. They did great though and by the end of the trip they were hanging right with us.

Bikewise, my WR450 is a lot smoother in the woods than my CRF450r. I bought the bike used and as far as I know the bike is stock except for the suspension which I had tuned to fit me (200 lbs.) and a FMF Powerbomb header. I do want to add a jet kit and get the carb professionally adjusted, but that's all it needs for what I do. Are you running stock gearing?

I'm an old motocrosser and I like to go fast, so I haven't gotten into riding the single track trails that much yet, but I'm trying to like it. I'm sure the 13/50 setup would be great for that...and yes Maniac I'm glad to be in the club!

It has stock gearing (50 tooth on the rear), the bike will crawl in the tight stuff, my issue is its weight, if I lean to much going slow I have I hard time holding it up, but then I am only 155lbs and I normally ride a YZ250F. The bike is great, I think I just need to hit the gym and bulk up.

It has stock gearing (50 tooth on the rear), the bike will crawl in the tight stuff, my issue is its weight, if I lean to much going slow I have I hard time holding it up, but then I am only 155lbs and I normally ride a YZ250F. The bike is great, I think I just need to hit the gym and bulk up.

Hate to sound condescending, but don't lean in the slow stuff..stand on them pegs and weave it.

I rode an 05' for three years and they are indeed very top heavy and feel like the just want to fall over and drag you to the ground. If the trails are fast enough to get into 3rd gear the bike is awesome. FWIW I ran a 51 tooth rear to so it wasn't as gappy from 2nd-3rd, it let the bike short shift and pull 3rd much better.

I agree 3rd gear rips. I stand up most of the time and to me the bike feels lite as a feather and is easy to weaved and flick around. Now of course remember I'm 48 years old. My first bike was a YZ100 Monoshock, with today's technology I feel like I'm riding on a cloud over the rough stuff, it's awesome!