Head torque spec or angle torque?

Also, the manual is not real clear on one important point: The 4 main cylinder head bolts need to be lubed with assembly lube or another high pressure moly grease at the threads AND at the bolt flange where they bear on the washers. Failing to do this will result in inadequate and/or uneven clamping force applied to the head.

Angle torquing is definitely a more accurate method, but until I was able to determine how much torque is produced by turning 180 degrees past 14 ft/lb, I think I would stay with the specified 32 ft/lb for the 426. As Todd says, run them up in at least 3 progressive steps using the pattern in the manual.

My yz400 manual says 29 ft lbs. The yz426 manual says 32. Looks like Yami changed the procedure for the redesigned YZ450 engine to the angle torque method.
Yeah but I've put big bore kits in new 450's and Athena specifies 32 Ft lbs.

Also, the manual is not real clear on one important point: The 4 main cylinder head bolts need to be lubed with assembly lube or another high pressure moly grease at the threads AND at the bolt flange where they bear on the washers. Failing to do this will result in inadequate and/or uneven clamping force applied to the head.

Wish I had known that before I put mine back together lol.

Oh well, if the head gasket blows again I'll know next time.