HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ranger426

Engine Problem

5 posts in this topic

I have a 2001 YZ426F and it has been running perfectly. Yesterday I went trail riding and rode all day, bike ran fine. Later yesterday evening we went for one last run and we had cut off on the road and while I was just cruising down the road it started missing like it was running out of gas. When I pulled off it was idling fine. So I just limped it home and noticed the header was glowing orange mostly at the head but when It needed more throttle to pull a hill the glow would move farther out the header. I'm unsure of what the problem is and just hoping and praying its nothing too serious. Anybody have any insight on the problem.

Thanks

Headers glow brighter as it gets darker. Could be a multitude of things from electrical to dirt in the carb.

1) PLEASE read FAQ section on "The Fabulous Glowing Red Header". Lots of other good info in the FAQ section, too.

2) The surging / miss you described might point to a throttle position sensor (TPS) on it's way out. They usually cause an odd running condition at steady state part throttle.

Figured it out....the CDI went out. Bought one and put it on, the bike runs good as ever.