HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hurricane522

Turn signals on wr426 not flashing

12 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone, i just finished installing all my running gear for my bike to be street legal. It's an 01 wr426f. Lights work and turn signals come on but i don't know where in the circuit i wire in my flasher unit. i had it in line after the handlebar switch received power from my hot feed but before the turn signals. What am i doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any advice.

From what I read sounds like you have wired it in the correct current path. Is you flasher compatable with your turn signal lights? (LED flasher with LED Turn signals)

Did you rewire your stator from AC to DC? Flasher modules only work on Direct Current.

i didn't know i had to do that on a stock wr. I can't use my stator as is ?

You Can!

You Can!

Yes, but in short you have to ad a regulator/rectifier to convert the electrical system from stock. That's what the big deal is with the kits, like Baja Designs. The light will work fine, but you won't have a battery, turn signal flasher, or horn. Those all run off of DC, not AC; which is how the bike is set up from the factory.

guys please bear with me here - my bike came stock with a voltage regulator mounted on the frame on the head tube. So now I have to get an aftermarket regulator for my turn signal flasher to work? Please educate me - what am i missing here? Is the factory regulator not converting the current from ac to dc?

Will a regulator / rectifier be what i need? thanks

For what it's worth, here's a schematic of the Aussie (street legal) 2008 WR450F wiring:

wr450f_wiring_diagram.jpg

Greg

guys please bear with me here - my bike came stock with a voltage regulator mounted on the frame on the head tube. So now I have to get an aftermarket regulator for my turn signal flasher to work? Please educate me - what am i missing here? Is the factory regulator not converting the current from ac to dc?

Will a regulator / rectifier be what i need? thanks

The stock regulator only regulates the flow of electricity. A rectifier will convert the type of electrical flow. A regulator/rectifier does both. The stock unit will not work to convert the electricity, it only regulates the flow, nothing more and nothing less.

If your flasher module is of "modern" type (that works with LED) you need DC current. The benefit of using a unit of that type is that the power of the light bulbs doesn't matter so you can use both LED or bulbs of any kind.

If it is of the old fashion type it runs on AC as well as DC. However you must to have bulbs with correct power output (W). If you have the wrong bulbs the unit will flash to fast or to slow.

How is the indicator light (in the speedometer) wired. Or is there none?

For my WR400 I made a custom harness where the flasher module and horn is powered by their own rectifier to run on DC. I kept the headlight, taillight and brake light running on AC. That way I only needed simple and cheap universial rectifier circuit that can be bought "anywhere".

When used offroad the flasher and horn harness can be removed easily from the bike.