oil change YZ450f

hey guys, I changed the oil and oil filter on my YZ450F yesterday, put about 1.15L in there then realized I had no more oil left... I pulled up the dipstick and the oil barely touched the bottom of it, in the manual it states 1.2L is required for a oil+filter change... I would've thought the level would come up a bit further on the stick with 1.15L poured into it..

I've since run out of oil and shops are closed today, I will not be able to get anymore oil till tomorrow, is it ok to leave the bike there with just the ~1L of oil in it? I don't want to start it etc. until I get the oil upto the correct level...

ahh started her up and the oil is actually over the marker... but not by much.... should I drain a little bit of it?

just for my own curiousity, if the bike is left unstarted for a few days, will the dipstick register no oil again? does it sink into a seperate compartment

I put one litre in my bike every time I change the oil, no more no less. I am pretty much spot on changing every 5 hours or a touch more often and have not had any problems yet.

Bike must be warm for oil to show on the stick.

Yes after a short time the dipstick will show no oil. Bike must be warmed up for a couple to 3 minutes before you check the oil. And do not screw the dipstick back in to check it. I unsrew the dipstick after warming it up. wipe it off and the just stick it in without screwing it in and check it.

ahh started her up and the oil is actually over the marker... but not by much.... should I drain a little bit of it?

just for my own curiousity, if the bike is left unstarted for a few days, will the dipstick register no oil again? does it sink into a seperate compartment

Ant chance you could mention the year model you have? It makes a difference in the answer to most of your questions.

The '06-'09 models, and the newer ones, have a much lower tendency for the oil to migrate from the reservoir to the sump when left to sit for a few days than the steel framed bikes did because the oil is carried much lower in the bike than on the older models. They will still do that to an extent, though. The most accurate reading on the dip stick is done after the engine has been run for a minimum of one minute, then shut down for at least 30 seconds, but less than 5 minutes.

Also your bike DOES NOT take 1.2 L for an oil change. It takes 1 QUART without the filter, and 1 LITER with a filter. 1.2 liters is the total amount in the system. That's what it takes to fill a completely dry rebuild. During a normal oil change, there is just some oil that won't come out.

Read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852961

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5221903#post5221903

I asked this question in another thread. Unlike a car engine, it is apparently quite impossible to get yourself into a situation in which you meet catastrophic destruction of your engine from to much oil, she'll just blow the extra out the breather hose from the top of the head and make a big mess on whatever is under your bike at the time.

In over 35 years as a professional mechanic, I've never seen any kind of destruction result in any motorcycle, car, truck, or anything else from over filling the oil (some of it as much as double the prescribed amount) unless you count a catalytic converter or two. Under filling is another matter.

Usually, in a dry sump like the YZF, 200cc more than prescribed does nothing at all, and I used to run my '03 400cc over on purpose sometimes. If there is the extra space for the extra oil in the oil tank, it changes nothing as far as the engine can see. The trouble with the '06-'11 models is that the "tank" is internal, and there simply is no extra room, so the excess raises the oil level in the sump.

• 1 month later...