HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chrispa

YZ450F left to idle coolant bubbling

17 posts in this topic

hey guys

I was installing a brake light in my YZ450F 2008 and after about 10 mins the coolant started bubbling so I switched it off..

I'm going to replace the coolant...

I'm really worried that I've done some damage to the engine?

hahahaha i done the EXACT same thing dw u didnt do damage its just that there was no air flowing and it overheated so it spilled out as long as u turned it off u will be fine thats my oppinion

I'm surprised it took 10 minutes! They need air moving over the radiators.

While it was running,how did you know it was "bubbling"? Were u running it with the radiator cap off?

it wouldnt of been bubbling for longer than 3-5 mins... the cap was on..

was there green smoke/liquid comming out from a hose under the bike? yes or no

no smoke, just green coolant out of the overflow on the radiator onto the floor, no glowing exhaust etc. i since drained the coolant and replaced it, took it out for a ride, started first kick, responded as it always has.. i dont think ive done any damage..

also do I have to bleed the cooling system to remove any air pockets caused by the boil over? I'm unsure on how to do this, is there a bleed valve somewhere on the YZ450F?

no smoke, just green coolant out of the overflow on the radiator onto the floor, no glowing exhaust etc. I since drained the coolant and replaced it, took it out for a ride, started first kick, responded as it always has.. I dont think ive done any damage..

you have not done any damage at all. Relax a little. End of thread

Yup, the YZF's should not be allowed to idle for more than 45 seconds or so. They will blow coolant out the cap quickly. Start your YZ give it a 30 second warm up, and get the bike moving. Ride the bike easy for another 5 min or so, then let er' rip ! :ride:

Yup, the YZF's should not be allowed to idle for more than 45 seconds or so. They will blow coolant out the cap quickly. Start your YZ give it a 30 second warm up, and get the bike moving. Ride the bike easy for another 5 min or so, then let er' rip ! :ride:

really? 30 seconds? thats it? y so little time?

really? 30 seconds? thats it? y so little time?

You can idle longer than that, the manual says to let it idle for 3 minutes before doing an oil change.

The manual contains a lot of little errors like that that are carried over from one manual to another without any thought. A glaring and serious example is the recommendation to lap valves.

If you face the bike into a 10 mph wind, you may get away with idling for 3 minutes. Otherwise, I'd bet against it.

The manual contains a lot of little errors like that that are carried over from one manual to another without any thought. A glaring and serious example is the recommendation to lap valves.

If you face the bike into a 10 mph wind, you may get away with idling for 3 minutes. Otherwise, I'd bet against it.

Well I've only had the bike a little over a month and have only done 1 oil change but I let it warm up for about 3 or 4 minutes and it didn't overheat or even make a gurgle. Maybe it's the Amsoil coolant or maybe I'm just lucky.:ride: