Help! Recomended torque wrench range?

If I were to buy a torque wrench, what range in ft-lbs or N-m should I get? Thanks in advance!

1/2", 3/8", or 1/4" wrench?

I think most are around this:

1/2" 0-150 ft. lbs.

3/8" 0-80 ft. lbs.

1/4" 0-200 inch lbs.

When working with the lighter torque spec'd bolts, I generally switch to the 1/4" wrench and convert the foot lbs. to inch lbs. to ensure I'm not over-torquing.

Good luck!

If I were to buy a torque wrench, what range in ft-lbs or N-m should I get? Thanks in advance!

You really need two. One for lower settings on cam caps (10 Nm) and pinch bolts (20 - 23 Nm) and one for the axle bolts, stem nut etc.

I wouldn't trust one wrench to go from a 100 Nm axle to a 10 Nm cam bolt. I don't think anything has a torque value above 100 Nm, and 10 Nm is the lowest I can think of...

100 Nm is about 80 ft.-lbs. I think, 10 Nm is about 7 ft.-lbs.

Hope this helps.

I doubt you'll need one that goes above 100 lb-ft. Just for saftey's sake, get one that goes to 150 lb-ft and starts at the lowest possible setting, like 10 lb-ft. I ended up getting several.

15-150 lb-ft 3/8" drive for most purposes

15-200 lb-in 3/8" drive mostly for the low torque settings required for suspension.

10-100 lb-in 1/4" drive low-profile for fitting between the top of the head and the top frame rail for torqueing the cam caps after valve adjustment/cam replacement.

Steering stem nut is spec'd at 105 ft/lbs....rear axle and SW pivot may be higher, I haven't looked. Only reason I know the Strg stem is 'cause I put my Scotts top t-clamp and stabilizer on last weekend. :)

Rich Baker