Tired of the 10/11 YZ450 Bashing?

Stewart gets fastest time every week and smokes everyone in the heat race. Then he can't handle the competition in the main. It's not the bike. It's pretty obvious what Bubbas problem is. He needs to look in a mirror to find that out.

his only problem is he had almost a year off the bike, he will smoke peeps in sx next year...

I hope its not all that bad cause I just picked one up yesterday :ride:

I hope its not all that bad cause I just picked one up yesterday :ride:

8 of the top 20 in the 450 outdoor series are YZ mounted. I think less people would be making an issue out of it if there were more in the top 5 say, but I think it might also be fair to say that Yamaha does not yet have top tier talent out there.

8 of the top 20 in the 450 outdoor series are YZ mounted. I think less people would be making an issue out of it if there were more in the top 5 say, but I think it might also be fair to say that Yamaha does not yet have top tier talent out there.

Yup, no real "factory" teams. When nearly half of top 20 is Yamaha and all of those are privateers (some of them are heavily financed privateers, but all the same), that's a little hard to ignore. A couple of years back, it was Honda that was in that position.

It was, of course, the first year for the bike, so we'll see what the field looks like next year. That will tell how well the bike was accepted.

I am getting about tired of everyone blaming the 10 and up YZ's for poor performances frome Stewart and Purcell. I have talked to many local pro's that love the new yz, one of which is a retired factory rider. Just last week I let an AX buddy ride my bike and he thought it was great, also was the fastest in the expert practice group on it. I guess I am just venting a little her but seriously they are great bikes.

"Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" One of the oldest phrases in racing. That's how reputations are started. Those companies have one goal, and that's to sell bikes, that's why they are in it.

the 10s and 11s really do stink....the 03 is the best :ride:

for the most part, I thinks its a count of "yamaha has pulled away from the rest of the japanese in terms of technology AGAIN" so you have people looking for ways to bag on it.

Best suspension in the class... Ok motor and best looking bikes.. Especially now with black rims on the blue models...

Every1 mods there bikes to fit them and I have heard from a few local pro's even bike review pro's that all they did was a pipe even for mammoth and they still hole shotted... A bike is only as good as the rider.

All 5 brands are good it's just which works the best for you is really hardest question to answer. I think dealers should have test rides!!! Get the one you feel best on and go from there! Never gonna happen so that's why there will always be bashing and I will be doing it to if I just spend 8k$ plus n don't like it..

There are two things at work there.

No question that it's beneficial in the sense that it makes the bike more maneuverable by the rider, but it also allows outside forces to alter the attitude of the bike more easily. In this case, it's being rotated around its pitch axis by an upward strike at the rear wheel.

You should have added after easily "which is non beneficial"....at least for most of us (I'm generalizing there). The front in my opinion is twitchy which in your statement...if you "do the math" is beneficial....let me help you...because the mass is centralized, the front end is more susceptable to changes in a force, which means the impulse is greater and thus the front end can change direction "faster" than a non centralized mass bike (any other bike for example) which translates for you and me as a twitchy front end. I know because I have a 10 and I said on here that the front end felt twitchy to me and so have a few other people. Obviously, it can be ridden fast (JS and DM) but I think it takes a differnt riding style than the other bikes. However, in my opinion, I am not sold on this "mass centralization" yet because of the "ease of attitude adjustment" mentioned.

You should have added after easily "which is non beneficial"....at least for most of us (I'm generalizing there). The front in my opinion is twitchy which in your statement...if you "do the math" is beneficial....let me help you...because the mass is centralized, the front end is more susceptable to changes in a force, which means the impulse is greater and thus the front end can change direction "faster" than a non centralized mass bike (any other bike for example) which translates for you and me as a twitchy front end. I know because I have a 10 and I said on here that the front end felt twitchy to me and so have a few other people. Obviously, it can be ridden fast (JS and DM) but I think it takes a differnt riding style than the other bikes. However, in my opinion, I am not sold on this "mass centralization" yet because of the "ease of attitude adjustment" mentioned.

Yamaha and Honda are the 2 brands with the most extreme chassi´s. They both work really good with the right setup. But can be a bitch when not dialed in right. But in my opinion the Yamaha is way more easy to setup than the 2009-2011 CRF450.

I think Kawasaki, Suzuki and KTM are playing it really safe with there chassi setup in stock mode. But when Honda and Yamaha have came up with good solution the other brands will follow as the copycats they are ! ( Playing it safe and letting the red and blue brand doing the hard work, or just being smart, you choose !? ) :ride:

You should have added after easily "which is non beneficial"....
That would have been redundant, since it was implicit in the sentence as written.

The front is twitchy for mostly the same reason that the front of an RM is twitchy, and for the opposite reason that the earlier YZF's push; the steering angle is steeper, and the trail is different. It makes the bike much more willing to turn, and makes the front bite better in turns, but at the expense of some stability. If the suspension, both ends, is not set up right, the extra pitching aggravates the matter all the more. The rear has to be brought under control in order for the front to work as it can. When the kicking and skipping at the rear stops, the front tracks a lot better.

Edited by grayracer513
clarity
but at the expense of some instability

I'm guessing you meant "stability".

Instability is the price you pay, but, as you wish.

Instability is the price you pay

Agreed, thought you meant the opposite.

Agreed, thought you meant the opposite.
Fixed it. Good call.

with the group of guys i ride with , we have honda , ktm , suzuki , and a couple yamahas , all late model 450s , the yamaha in my opinion is the nicest riding bike out of them all , seems to be the one with the most power to , im very glad i bought my 2011 450 , it seems to be a very solid bike , ive also been playing around with the tuner quite a bit and it can make a real difference in how the bike handles in th corners

I don't know how many of you watch the GP's, but the Rinaldi bikes of Frossard and Philiparts are right at the front mixing it up every week. They've certainly got those two about right now.

I don't know how many of you watch the GP's, but the Rinaldi bikes of Frossard and Philiparts are right at the front mixing it up every week. They've certainly got those two about right now.

And although it's off road racing, Paul Whibley is absolutely killing it right now on one in the OMA series.

I think the bashing is mostly a result of Yamaha not having a factory MX team anymore, and their main SX support team having a rider who can crash a fair amount of the time.

So, with no big name rider(s) winning an SX title or any nationals obviously that equals a bad bike..

This bashing has been bothering me too. A buddy of mine even said, "This bike will go down in history as the biggest pile of crap Yamaha ever made since those early 80's YZ's with the radiator on the triple clamps!" lol. He likes his KX450 sled. OBTW, I had an '82 YZ250 and it was indeed a pile. BUT my '10 is beyond compare as to how good it is. I will say that it takes some getting used to handling wise compared to older model YZ's. BUT, I got on an '08 YZ the other day and it felt like a dump truck in comparison. OBTW, I had an '08 and it was a great bike. This '10 is just different, new school handling like the Honda. Agree with other posts that the RM's and KX's are behind. It's all what you are used to. Suspension wise for MX I believe the stock fork springs are too soft for average (180lb and up) rider and makes the bike dive too much on braking which makes the front really want to tuck on corner entry. Also agree that shock rebound is a problem. Stock I felt like the bike kicked on braking bumps really bad. Any decent suspension tuner can get the bike right. I'm not going to go into details on what I did to mine, but it handles like a dream compared to stock. So yeah, all the people who blame the bike are retards. Look at Tommy Hahn, kicking ass! I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Yamaha is pissed off at JS7 and wants him outdoors. Not having a top rider out there winning is really bad for Yamaha. Having said all the above I will say the '09 Honda got bashed allot, now no one is talking crap on that bike...hmm, CR22 and TC winning in SX and CR in MX...lots of people looking to buy one now. Yamaha needs a top rider out there in the outdoors for sure.