HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DPW

Rear Sprocket Question

6 posts in this topic

The bolts that hold on the rear sprocket do you guys recommend using loctite on them or just torqueing them down to the recomended 30Ft-lb ? I used loctite last time and torqued them down and had a heck of a time getting them loose. If you guys do use loctite which number ?

Thanks for your help

Dennis '99 YZ400F

Dennis,

I have never used locktite on the sprocket bolts. I do check them frequently and have only found them loose once (the bike was brand new). I like to check mine when I service the bike. They only take a minute to check and is well worth the time.

yzernie

I would recommend using Loctite threadlocker, it won't hurt anything but will prevent them from coming off.

------------------

~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

[This message has been edited by teamtoxic (edited 05-23-2001).]

If you use loctite , use blue and use it between the head of the bolt and the sprocket. Most nuts for the sprocket bolt nuts have ny-locks and you just end up boogering them up.

------------------

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 05-23-2001).]

After too many encounters with this thing coming lose, I switched over to a nut that has the self locking nylon insert.

Dennis,

Loctite is safe bet, One of my buddies put the wrong compound an was forced to drill out the holes on his sprocket to get the bolt off after he stripped out the allen heads. A good idea is to go ahead and use the Red compound and when the time comes to take the bolts off, simply heat up the end of the nut with a torch and the bolt will come right out.

Better luck next time!!

------------------

Ride it like you stole it 426!