******2009 YZ450 vs 2008 Yz450******

hey. im just coming off my 05 crf250x and im getting a used yz450f. there is a 2009 yz450 with roughly 30 hours on it, needs a new back tire on it. asking $4300 i have a feeling it wasnt maintained that well and i want to make sure my next bike doesnt give me any problems this summer.

there is a 2008 yz450 with a full fmf carbon fiber exhaust, has about 25 hours on it, pro taper bars, excel rims, and hour meter. in very good shape with good tires and sprockets. asking $4300

last but not least, another 2008 yz450. the guy rebuilt it after 50 hours of driving, stainless steel valves..:ride:, dna racing wheels, blue hubs, s.s oil filter, taper bars, unbreakable levers, monster graphics. all work done by a yamaha mechanic. this thing is decked out for $4400.

I just want to hear what you guys have to say about these bikes. they are are in awesome shape and look great. Im leaning towards the 2008 with S.S valves but dad disagrees because it was rebuilt. that means there are less chances of something seizing up on it right? i always maintain my bikes well and just do trail driving.

_Thanks and id love to hear what you have to say.

My two cents. First Yamaha's have very little valve problems, I mean very little. But with that being said there is very little difference between 08 and 09. I would just say check wheel, and linkage bearings and always look in the air box for dirt.

Pop off the seat and check the air filter. Good indication of how the bike may have been maintained.

Are the rims full of smiles/dents?

Underside of frame dented?

Does it start cold?

Does it start hot?

Does it go into gear easily and can you find neutral easy?

options......someone who did not replace parts and another one who took care of the bike and replaced parts.......easy decision for me.

This is a common difference between trail riders and racers. Both use the bikes in the same way but......Racers take better care of their bike and replace parts before failure where most trail riders just ride and put in gas and only replace parts that have failed.

So if i buy one of the bikes that havent been rebuilt yet im looking at a rebuild this summer even if i trail ride the bike and not stress it ?
That's not at all certain. While it's true that some trail riders use their bikes as hard as many racers do, a huge number of them don't, and there are hundreds of YZ450's that have or will go for 4 years or more without needing to be repaired in any major way.

And then again...:ride:

I would be very reluctant to buy a bike that has already has a rebuilt motor. Who knows what happened to it, how well it was really put back together knowing it would be sold, short cuts etc. The second one sounds the best overall to me based on the info you've given.

options......someone who did not replace parts and another one who took care of the bike and replaced parts.......easy decision for me.

This is a common difference between trail riders and racers. Both use the bikes in the same way but......Racers take better care of their bike and replace parts before failure where most trail riders just ride and put in gas and only replace parts that have failed.

Tell me about it. Everyone I know who races maintains the crap outta there bikes, so why is everyone afraid to buy a raced bike?

Tell me about it. Everyone I know who races maintains the crap outta there bikes, so why is everyone afraid to buy a raced bike?

It all depends on the owner. Race bikes do live a harder life though. They're typically ridden more often than the casual trail ridden bike, and they are usually ridden harder.

Edited by RiderX

That seems like allot of money for an 08 YZ450. I paid $3400 for an 08 last summer. I found one that a guy owned and hurt his shoulder on a motox track and couldn't ride anymore.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2422844143.html

A bunch of them all over the price range.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=yz450f&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

I would think you could find a better one for a better price. If this is what they are going for now though I will sell mine and buy a 2010. LOL