Does anybody use Auto Parts store oil filters? 03 YZF450 I need a Fram Pt#

I am going to eventually upgrade to a Scotts filter, but would really like a part # for a Fram filter or any other auto parts store oil filter that I can use to do my first oil change with. I have a 2003 YZF 450. The Fram catalog fell short on applications so I am hoping you guys can help.

I searched but came up with a bunch of info on Scotts,Maxima, and other SS filters which is not what I need currentl.

I am going to eventually upgrade to a Scotts filter, but would really like a part # for a Fram filter or any other auto parts store oil filter that I can use to do my first oil change with. I have a 2003 YZF 450. The Fram catalog fell short on applications so I am hoping you guys can help.

I searched but came up with a bunch of info on Scotts,Maxima, and other SS filters which is not what I need currentl.

I don't understand your logic ? You willing to risk a potential $2500 engine failure from running a "maybe it fits" Pep Boys oil filter ? Whats the problem with the tried and true OEM Yamaha filters ? I've been using them since 2001 with ZERO issues and 100% confidence in protecting my expensive engine. The choice is ultimately yours though....:ride:

IF I were to use "paper" filters, I wouldn't waste money on the OEM's. They are simply over priced. OTOH, I would not buy the eBay $2 cheapo's either. You can find bulk deals on reasonable quality stuff online, buy ten of them or so, and re-order when you run low. Then you never have to go looking for one, or trust Pep Boys.

I don't understand your logic ? You willing to risk a potential $2500 engine failure from running a "maybe it fits" Pep Boys oil filter ? Whats the problem with the tried and true OEM Yamaha filters ? I've been using them since 2001 with ZERO issues and 100% confidence in protecting my expensive engine. The choice is ultimately yours though....:ride:

No, I am not willing to risk my engine on an inferior filter...I am asking if anybody has used one and for a part number if said part performed up to par.

IF I were to use "paper" filters, I wouldn't waste money on the OEM's. They are simply over priced. OTOH, I would not buy the eBay $2 cheapo's either. You can find bulk deals on reasonable quality stuff online, buy ten of them or so, and re-order when you run low. Then you never have to go looking for one, or trust Pep Boys.

I agree that the stockers are overpriced and am more than happy to buy a oil filter that you believe is up to standard. Any particular brand recommended?

5-10 dollars at a motorcycle store for a SS filter? and you wanna run a cheapy glued together fram filter in your bike? spend the 10 bucks and make sure your bike stays alive

I dont know what Stainless filter you got for 5-10 bux but I doubt its a quality piece.

Again if the Fram is not an acceptable filter, I will be more than happy to buy a recommended aftermarket filter as per your recomendations. I dont want to buy 10-12 Dollar stockers at the local stealership is basically what I was gettin at.

i run NAPA oil filters in my 09 kx250f, they are exactly the same thing when u look at them. iv been running them for over a hundred hoursa nd theur fine. the problem i run into is my local shop moved and they are about a hour drive away now.

NAPA sells a PS7933 filter that works fine. Don't know if there is any savings in it as it sells for $11-12. My closest yamaha dealer is 40 miles though. Ultimately the scotts ss filter is probably the best in the long run.

The local Yamaha dealer just lost their Yamaha license, and I was wanting to fire my bike up this weekend. That is why I asked for a suitable cheaper filter to get me by for one weekend, but at 11-12 bux for a paper filter, I will just run it with the old filter for a few minutes to conirm my carb is correct, and put it away until I get the Scotts filter.

Just in case is this filter (Napa PS7933) the one I could use in a jam for my 2003 YZ450?

Thanks for the help guys. :ride:

K&N Makes a filter for these bikes, it's on their website. Your autoparts store should be able to stock it. I think it's the same price as the OEM one, probably made just as well.

I don't think that fram makes one for these bikes, I could be wrong. You should email them and find out, but I doubt it's going to cost any less.

oem yamaha filters from the parts store i go to are 8 bucks. i just picked one up two days ago. 8 dollars, made by yamaha, and SS. i likey. look at the overall design and assembly of most car company oil filters. they are heat glued together and the second oil melts that glue, the filter is clogged and the filter goes into bypass mode. very common with frams. ill look up the study this guy did and if i find it again ill be more than happy to post it up.

oem yamaha filters from the parts store i go to are 8 bucks. ...made by yamaha, and SS.

Yamaha never made a stainless steel mesh filter. The Yamaha mesh filters were brass, not SS, and only filter down to around 80 microns. Furthermore, they are NOT sturdy enough to be cleaned reliably without enlarging sections of the mesh even bigger than that. Yamaha replaced them with the more common "paper" (actually fiber mat) filters in 2003.

I don't recommend that anyone use the early brass filters, as they simply don't work well enough.

hmmm... next time i pick one up ill take a picture and post it here. it looks like every other SS filter ive seen... now im puzzled.

EDIT****

well i looked last night and they look shiney silver but are really brass. im an ******* and eating those words. still only 8 bucks and GYRT hahahaha

Edited by allupinsydeyou