HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the426master

turn aluminum to chrome

12 posts in this topic

hey have you ever wondered how to make your aluminum to chrome well here’s how take some really fine like 600-800 grit wet dry sand paper and sand the aluminum until itlooks really shinny make sure you only sand in one direction the results will be much better. Then get a cotton cloth and some aluminum polish, I like mothers and blue magic, put some polish on the cloth and buff until it turns black and then wipe off you will need to do this several times. Or a grinder with a buffing wheel its lots faster than doing it by hand. Good luck It worked for me it should work for you :)

426master,

There was thread on this exact subject a while back. I did before and afters of my bar risers.

I think they turned out quite nice.

BarRisers.JPG

polishedRisers.jpg

ya momilkman just redoing what looks really good is when you do your skidplat motor mounts,brake pedal, shifter, and your resivor guard it looks really trick I'm about ready to do my swing arm

Off Topic-- would this also work on polished aluminum non clearcoated rims for my truck. If so has anyone done this and what attachment do you use

yes it would you might want to get a buffing wheal instead of a wrag and mothers will work best for that. good luck

I tried doing my swing arm and skid plate w/mothers it didnt phase it.what did I not do? I just tried mothers.how come it wont do anything? I guess you have to do the sanding. right?

The only problem with polished aluminum is that the good looks don't last long.

Some people use clear varnish to keep it from oxidizing.

I had a drag car with a polished aluminum interior and I spent hours repolishing it.

I tried doing my swing arm and skid plate w/mothers it didnt phase it.what did I not do? I just tried mothers.how come it wont do anything? I guess you have to do the sanding. right?

Yes, you have to do quite a bit of tedious sanding. I think on the swingarm you also have to remove the factory paint with aircraft stripper. (I have heard other say that on here)